The Mark's Christmas present to me...

Meister

Registered
Well,

My wife and I loaded up my Mark on tuesday afternoon to drive it back to my parents place 300 miles (from LA to Monterey).

About 50 miles into the trip while going up and over the Grapevine we encounted a bit of a sand storm (which ruined my front bumper/grille and so forth, that I had just redone last year). So, got to call my insurance company that night to file a comprehensive claim. Made me glad that I still have full coverage on the vehicle.

Last winter I redid the rear suspension on the Mark (bags, shocks, bushings, endlinks)...and I was planning on doing the front in the next few months.

Looked out the window yesterday morning and saw the front of my Mark slammed, it had just rolled over 117k on the way here. So, the new AAS air strus I have sitting in my garage will be going on a bit sooner than I anticipated. I already have the Ford strut rod bushings and endlinks in the garage also. Rockauto will be getting an order for new tie rods and upper/lower control arms. (If I'm going to have it apart, I'm going to do it right and replace everything at once!).

I had never had an issue with the air ride - nor had the PO (of whom I'm friends with). So, 14 years and 117k miles was the entire duration for the front air-struts.

I pumped her up yesterday morning and she was fine all day. This morning she was flat on her face again.... She is usually garaged, so I don't know if being exposed to colder than usual weather triggered one of the bags or what, but she is certainly hurting.

I always chuckled to myself when I saw Marks slammed and thought I would never let me car exist in that state.

So, the insurance looks at the front bumper/grille/headlights/eyebrow on monday. Tuesday she goes into the garage for the new front end and suspension...I'll probably replace the compressor also for good measure.

The Marks gift to me? A lighter wallet. But, she is still a pleasure, and has lots of life left in her!

It was cold going through the pass when the storm blew through. It wasn't a 'sand storm' per say. Their were high gusty winds and was blowing through the pass. It was 33 degrees when that happened, mighty cold to me, but no snow.

It is not unusual for climate changes to cause the air bags to start leaking faster as the folds are where the cracks emanate from. Your are wise to get all the stuff done as you should be set for another 100,000 miles. Don't forget to replace the say bar links and also get a front end alignment.

...I was thinking that the extra cold may have triggered it. As the car is usually garaged at my house, and was outside at my parents when it deflated. It looks like Eddie has the new spider valve on pre-order....the budget just got moved up. Dang.

Yep, have the new Ford endlinks waiting also.....

She should be good as new, inside and out hopefully!

Doug

I'm having the same problem, except for the sand storms. :D

I've gone out to the garage to find my Mark flat on the front. Not everyday, some times 2-3 days before this happens. I also don't drive my car everyday......no pattern. What strut/airbags are you going with? I'm not sure what AAS is? Is that Arnott?

I had the "sand storm" problem with my mark once. Didn't make a claim though. Really sucked, it took a toll on the new paint and new headlights, and didn't help with the windshield either.

I just swapped my beater to coils in the front. They suck. Can't tell if it's the shocks blown out or just too low a spring rate, but it's really floating and buick-like in the front. I tried 2 used sets of bags and couldn't get either to not leak, though.

Back