I need some Help Again!!

shospeed

Registered
This morning I turned on my car (97 mark 8) after 5 second it turned off and wouldn't start back up, I thought it might be out of gas so I whent to the store to buy some and put it in there. Anyways....
The car didn't start back up!
So I took my wifes car to work.
I'm just trying to get some ideas on what to check when I get home.

I think it might be the fuel pump but how can I be sure?

Any ideas would be great sence I haven't really checked anything yet.

Thanks

I think it might be the fuel pump but how can I be sure?

Fuel pressure gauge.

hyp-4004_w.jpg

~39.5 lbs at the rail with the vacuum line disconnected (and plugged) from the fuel pressure regulator, assuming that you have the stock regulator.

Ok I've checked it and I get NO fuel to the lines. Could it be anything ealse besides the fuel pump.
I've checked the fuses and they are all good too.

I changed the fuel filter (wich it was claught) and it almost started but I still get no pressure.

(wich it was claught)

OK, I give up, what were you trying to say? "Which was clogged", perhaps? ;)

If the fuel pump isn't running, you might try the reset button, but that's reaching.

Sounds like the pump's dead.

Yeah!
Sorry my spelling sucks(as you can see).

I DO hear the pump turn on when you turn the key but I still get no pressure on the rails.

It seems like it shoots enought fuel to start the car but not to keep it on. After swaping the filter it seems to want to turn on but it just dosent. :(

Try swapping the fuel relay with another relay to ensure that isn't acting up. If I recall correctly the air suspension relay and fuel pressure relay can be swapped. They are under the hood near the high current fuse box. Ensure they are the same relay before swapping (which I think they all are)

Yeah!
Sorry my spelling sucks(as you can see).

I DO hear the pump turn on when you turn the key but I still get no pressure on the rails.

It seems like it shoots enought fuel to start the car but not to keep it on. After swaping the filter it seems to want to turn on but it just dosent. :(

If you are sure that you can hear the pump running, then the inertia button isn't going to fix anything.

I'd disconnect the fuel line before the filter, hold it over a container, and have someone else turn the key on to see if anything actually flows.

It still sounds like the pump is dying/dead.

thats what happened to my car, the fuel filter can be easily reached behind the right front wheel, turn the wheel all the way to the left, remove the retaining clip from the line on the bottom of the filter, pull fuel line loose, turn key for a couple of seconds, you should have a significant ammount of fuel coming out (if not swap relay #1 and #3, then honk your horn, relay#3 is the horn relay and #1 is the fuel pump)if no fuel its a bad pump, if you are getting fuel there, then you can check it at the fuel rail, there is a valve on the left bank, use a pen or something and stick in there and press the valve open ( the same way you would let air out of a tire) and have someone turn the key ( make sure that youve replaced the line at the filter ) - yes a pressure gauge is the ideal way to go, but if you dont have one, then this can at least tell you that youre getting fuel!!- if you have fuel there then you need to check your fire, pull a spark plug out of a cylinder, leave it connected to the wire, lay it over the intake and have someone turn the key, see if it sparks, if not, remove any of the plugs from one of the coils, turn key, you should see the spark searching for a ground,

you can also see my thread on Diesel in Tank
you can also bridge the relay by using a small piece of wire going from prong 30 to 87 in the relay slot, 30 is hot to pump and 87 is the ground in the center, this will bypass the computer ( pull the relay and there will be a schematic printed on the side of the relay ) listen for pump to prime, sounds like humming for about 3 seconds in the tank
i also highly recommend to TAKE YOUR TIME if you are at all mechanicaly inclined that when you drop your gas tank to install your own trap door under the rear seat for future pump replacements as these pumps are known to fail, and trust me, dropping that tank by yourself when its fulll is the farthest thing from a picnic at the park
if you have any further questions please feel free to give me a call and ill walk you through any of this as i JUST did it Christmas-eve
254-228-3453

Last edited:
Back