Rack Fans

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
Ok, so for all of you who would know how to do this...

I would like to build a few rack fans for my sound gear, basically something like this...

TURBO2.JPG

I can buy little 40mm fans and grills on ebay, I can make the panel to mount them.

My question is power. How should I try to power them, wire them, and is it possible to have a thermostat and or rheostat control for the fan speed?

I know you can buy rack fans with both, but they are stupid $$$...
Even without such features, they are still stupid $$$...

So, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the subject! :D

Thanks! :D -J

Ok, well there seem to be a few types of fans...

ball bearing, brushless, double ball bearing... 2 wire... 3 wire...

12V, 9V, everything from >1W to 6W and >1A to 1.5+A...

I'm not sure even what a good fan would be... :rolleyes:

:D -J

My guess is that they are 12V DC like a computer fan, so you need a 12V power supply that is rated for the amount of current you will need. You may want to consider the noise level too. Obviously you are going to pay for a quality, low noise fan that can move enough CFM for your thermal cooling needs.
My advice to you is just to buy a ready made one. :D

How does this look.
I attached a PDF of the Rack.

Attachments

• Fan Rack.jpg
    Fan Rack.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Fan Rack.pdf
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My advice to you is just to buy a ready made one. :D

You know as well as anyone, I'm not normally a cheap person... :D
I would normally just spend the money if it will save me from having to do work... but there is just something about this that is killing me...

You can buy those stupid little fans for like $2 each... So why should 4 of them and a switch in a plastic panel cost me $100... :mad:

How does this look.
I attached a PDF of the Rack.

That looks awesome!!! :D

And that would be perfect!

I don't know if this helps or not, but this is one of the 2 racks I'd like to add fans to...

2071326580039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

You know as well as anyone, I'm not normally a cheap person... :D
I would normally just spend the money if it will save me from having to do work... but there is just something about this that is killing me...

You can buy those stupid little fans for like $2 each... So why should 4 of them and a switch in a plastic panel cost me $100... :mad:

Well a good power supply is going to be more then $2, then a controller. And make sure the $2 fan will meet your needs. Yes, you can do that all for less then $100 but you need to know how, lol. Check eBay for used.

Back