Lowering kit

Misanthropy

Information Junkie
So as you all probably know, the lowering kit from strustmasters and American air suspension are no longer avail. My new mark has bags and they are bad. So I went ahead and ordered tokico lowering kit for the T-bird from shox.com and figuring they are both mn-12 they would interchange. They will work obviously, but there are a couple things the kit did not include.... rear insulators for starters which I know are available at sc performance. Also I would need that metal plate that they come with in other swap kits(the one that sits on top of rear shock insulator at the top to hold it in place). I had both from my red car,but when I pulled them off I trashed them not thinking ahead. Last but not least the shocks didn't come with a front strut top where the studs mount shown in the picture below.....

I was looking on advice if I should just send this kit back and save the hassle and get the kit from somewhere else? if so where? Or where I could find these individual parts. Thank you to anyone who helps :)

Attachments

• facebook 085.jpg
    facebook 085.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well......

You need to run spring isolators for both the top and bottom of the MN-12 Thunderbird rear springs as neither end has flat coils, so a simple piece of metal won't work. And without a lower perch, the spring has too much room to move about in the LCA.

I make UHMW Springs perches for the Thunderbird guys that swap to Mark VIII LCA's: http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27045

More info: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108085

That's just the lower perches though.

However, I've also recently figured out how to make a perch for the upper on the Mark VIII's as well.

There are two options. If you're looking for spring perches that will also allow you to use AirLift air bags made for the '93-'97 MN-12 Thunderbirds inside the springs, then they need to be taller inside, and a set of 4 (2 lowers, 2 uppers) would run $350 shipped (lower 48).

If you're not looking to ever run the air bags, then the shorter perches can be used, and that 4 piece set will run $300 shipped (lower 48).

I know it's not cheap, but the material isn't either, and it takes quite a while to make these.

They are designed to use the Prothane 6-1709 springs isolators, and you'll need 4 of them (two kits).

The "onions" as they are called for the top of the front shocks/springs are available through any parts store.

By putting coil springs on your Mark you might be one step closer to an MN12 platform car, but it's still an FN10 platform car.:D

Misanthropy, I'm leaning toward the Tokico springs/struts as well. I want to be lower but not too low. Have you installed it yet? If so please upload pics.......

Misanthropy, I'm leaning toward the Tokico springs/struts as well. I want to be lower but not too low. Have you installed it yet? If so please upload pics.......

FYI, He also purchased a set of my UHMW upper and lower perches. :cool:

Back