4 Valve -vs- 3 Valve

Sapperfire

Registered
ok our Marks come with the 4.6 DOHC and the Mustang GTs ( 96-98 ) came with 4.6 SOHC , which is the "better" motor, which one can actualy produce more HP, my boss has a 97 GT and swears that the GTs have more HP capabily than the Cobras..i just kinda laughed and walked away

"Better" is subjective, but the 4v will be able to out power the 2 for the same displacement. The 4v has more overhead (no pun intended) and higher cost to make.

The new GT mustang is based on our old 4.6 DOHC.

5.0 DOHC 4 valves per cyl, 414hp, 390 TQ.

I think that settles any arguments...

SOHC will be more reliable... not many marks make it past 200k.

Listen, your Boss seems to feel he knows more than you, so just let him keep thinking that way because he is still the Boss. Then one day when you become his Boss you can break the news to him that his GT motor was not more capable than a 4 valve Mark Vlll. The three valve was brought out as a cost savings issue.

The only reason the 4V isn't "up there" with the capabilities of the 2V is cost and lack of expertise in the aftermarket.

The 3V is a DOG in my opinion, but there is enough of an aftermarket to make a difference if you like.

The new 5.0 shows promise, but only time will tell if it takes off in the aftermarket.

ok our Marks come with the 4.6 DOHC and the Mustang GTs ( 96-98 ) came with 4.6 SOHC , which is the "better" motor, which one can actualy produce more HP, my boss has a 97 GT and swears that the GTs have more HP capabily than the Cobras..i just kinda laughed and walked away

The GT has potential to gain more horsepower, but the 2 motors are the same block, his is rated at ~210 HP, and ours at 290 HP. We could swap out the same components he does and end up with the same HP, cause the engines base block are identical. Like he upgrades to PI heads, we could downgrade to them, etc....

the new GT 3v heads flow less than our 4 valves do... so why do they make more horsepower...? and they're pretty zippy. :confused:

the new GT 3v heads flow less than our 4 valves do... so why do they make more horsepower...? and they're pretty zippy. :confused:

New programming, extended technology. NEw 4V would make more power today. Also they probably have 6 speed autos.

New programming, extended technology. NEw 4V would make more power today. Also they probably have 6 speed autos.

That brings up an excellent question...

Would any 6sp auto fit a MK8? or could one be made to fit?

I've thought for a while now that a 6sp auto would make a MK pretty much a match for any modern car in both performance and economy. :D

:D -J

Back