FS: UHMW Spring Perches for Mark VIII LCA's

DLF

Registered
I'm not sure if anyone with a Mark VIII will be interested in these, but if you're converting to MN-12 (89-97) Thunderbird springs, these might come in handy.... ;)

The Thunderbird crowd likes to install Mark VIII LCA's for the looks and weight savings. Obviously, the Mark VIII LCA's were not designed to accept springs.

People have made aluminum spring perches in the past, but they weigh over 3 lbs. each; these are just over 1 lb. each.

These lightweight UHMW spring perches fit into the LCA and are designed to use Prothane 6-1709 spring isolators and accept Thunderbird rear springs. I use them on my '95 Thunderbird SC with H&R springs.

The standard base of the perches is 1/2", but I can custom make them thicker if needed to adjust the ride height (but not thinner).

I make two different styles, a short version ($150/pr shipped, lower 48) and a taller version ($175/pr shipped, lower 48). The taller version is the same height as the stock Thunderbird LCA spring perch and allows the use of AirLift air bags made for the Thunderbird. The only color currently available is white.

NOTE - These are for the LCA only, I don't have a solution for the upper spring pocket. (I have some thoughts, but haven't yet needed to design anything.)

Some more info here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108085

Pic 1 - Short Version
Pic 2 - Tall Version
Pic 3 - Tall Version with Prothane Spring Isolator
Pic 4 - Tall Version installed in my SC

Attachments

• HPIM0534.JPG
    HPIM0534.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0525.JPG
    HPIM0525.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0535.JPG
    HPIM0535.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0607.JPG
    HPIM0607.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
BTW, In the 4th picture, my UHMW perch is in red at the bottom of the spring. The white "perch" at the top of the spring is the stock metal spring perch on the SC which is welded to the body.

I've been asked to, so I'll also be designing and selling UHMW upper spring perches that will allow Mark VIII owners to switch to Thunderbird springs and to also use Air-Lift air bags designed for the Thunderbirds. Estimated cost for the upper pair is $150.

Last edited:
I've figured out how to make the upper perches for the Mark VIII, by measuring the stock setups in my own cars.

The lower perches that I make for MN-12 Thunderbirds converting to Mark VIII LCA's have a 1/2" thick base, which is needed to account for the differences between the MN-12 and Mark VIII LCA's.

For a Mark VIII which is being converted to MN-12 springs (I strongly recommend H&R springs, BTW), both upper and lower perches with a 1/4" base would be correct.

Two different kit's are needed:

If you also wish to use AirLift air bags, designed for the 93-97 MN-12, inside the rear springs, than the inside portion of both perches needs to be a bit taller. This 4 piece kit (2 upper and 2 lower UHMW perches), would run $350 shipped (lower 48).

A 4 piece kit for those that will never run the AirLift air bags, would run $300 shipped (lower 48).

Both sets of perches are designed to use Prothane 6-1709 springs isolators, and two kits (4 pieces) are required.

Pics of UHMW Lower Perches for Thunderbird Springs

Pics of UHMW Lower Perches for Thunderbird Springs

These fit the LCA, and add less than 1 lb. each to unsprung weight.

Attachments

• HPIM0764.JPG
    HPIM0764.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0765.JPG
    HPIM0765.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0769.JPG
    HPIM0769.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pics of UHMW Upper Perches for Thunderbird Springs

Pics of UHMW Upper Perches for Thunderbird Springs

These fit in the stock center locating hole for the airbags, and are retained by a stainless steel 7/16" cap bolt and hairpin cotter.

It takes two full days to make a complete set of 4 UHMW perches.

As stated above, these use the Prothane 6-1709 spring isolators.

A full set of 4 perches (not for use with AirLift air bags) is $300 shipped (lower 48).

I've sold two sets already, so we should get some feedback soon.

PM me if you questions.

Attachments

• HPIM0775.JPG
    HPIM0775.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0773.JPG
    HPIM0773.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0774.JPG
    HPIM0774.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Boy am I glad I searched around and found this thread, and that it isn't 25 years old!

I suppose I didn't do proper research before I bought my suspension setup but could you tell me if this will work regardless, I have a feeling I'm in need of what your crafting.

I bought my car with not much previous knowledge of Mark VIII's. The suspension was just garbage (super mooshy) so I checked around and of course it Looks like it has some thunderbird v6 garbage setup.

I thought I could swap out the parts seeing as there are thunderbird parts already in there but I do not think he installed them properly, knowing that he put junkyard parts in there to begin with.

The parts I have ordered so far, all from SCP:

-4 Vogltand 3/4" lowering coils (for T-Bird)
-4 KYB struts (For T-bird)
-2 new upper shock mounts (TBird)
-4 rear spring cups (isolators)
-Addco rear 1 1/4" sway bar

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, I need those perches that you make to correct the ride height, right? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.:big-grin:

Boy am I glad I searched around and found this thread, and that it isn't 25 years old!

I suppose I didn't do proper research before I bought my suspension setup but could you tell me if this will work regardless, I have a feeling I'm in need of what your crafting.

I bought my car with not much previous knowledge of Mark VIII's. The suspension was just garbage (super mooshy) so I checked around and of course it Looks like it has some thunderbird v6 garbage setup.

I thought I could swap out the parts seeing as there are thunderbird parts already in there but I do not think he installed them properly, knowing that he put junkyard parts in there to begin with.

The parts I have ordered so far, all from SCP:

-4 Vogltand 3/4" lowering coils (for T-Bird)
-4 KYB struts (For T-bird)
-2 new upper shock mounts (TBird)
-4 rear spring cups (isolators)
-Addco rear 1 1/4" sway bar

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, I need those perches that you make to correct the ride height, right? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.:big-grin:

You need my upper and lower perches, not just for the ride height, but also to locate the T-Bird springs and isolators.

$300 shipped (lower 48)

PayPal to dlfraleigh@comcast.net

Sorry for the false alarm. I don't have the funds to do this at the moment, and will probably look for a cheaper alternative. Thanks anyways.

DLF, I'm getting ready to do what 93Marksman has done with my 98 LSC.\ and I don't want to cut any corners. As a result, I am interested in your upper/lower perches. Can you supply a few pics of them on a Mark? My email is eunospeed@msn.com

FYI, I'm leaning toward using Tokico springs/struts on my car. They are supposed to drop 1.25", how does this compare to the H&R's?

Last edited:
DLF, I'm getting ready to do what 93Marksman has done with my 98 LSC.\ and I don't want to cut any corners. As a result, I am interested in your upper/lower perches. Can you supply a few pics of them on a Mark? My email is eunospeed@msn.com

FYI, I'm leaning toward using Tokico springs/struts on my car. They are supposed to drop 1.25", how does this compare to the H&R's?

The pics in posts #4 and #5 are on my LSC. THIS post on on MarkVIII.org is by another customer who bought a set. He also made THIS post on TCCoA.com.

I'm sorry, but I have no experiences with the Tokico springs.

DLF, I'm getting closer to this conversion. Did you ever confirm what springs azpainter used with your perches? I still plan to use Tokico springs and I don't want the rear to sag or be too high.

DLF, I'm getting closer to this conversion. Did you ever confirm what springs azpainter used with your perches? I still plan to use Tokico springs and I don't want the rear to sag or be too high.

No sorry, he never replied, and I don't know.

Back