My new project Mark VIII

k9t8m

Registered
Let me give you a little background on the car. It was originally posted here by another member about 4ish months ago from craigslist.

After a week of it being posted here I finally broke down and contacted the owner and after about 5 minutes I knew I just HAD to have the car.

We agreed on a price and I put my motorcycle up for sale and everything was set, or so I thought. The owner called back about a week later, he and his family had decided to keep the car, so the deal was off.

I had completely written it off until I got a call back from the owner about 3 weeks later asking me if i was still interested, which I was.

I ended up selling my motorcycle to my dad (who had wanted it since I bought it over 5 years ago).

The owner and I agreed on a price but neither one of us felt comfortable dealing with a total stranger, me sending the money first, or him sending the car, nothing made seance. So after about a week we decided to just go for it and I went out on a limb and sent him a deposit to hold the car, and the full payment shortly thereafter.

This is when I had to start thinking about how Im going to get the car back home, almost 900mi. As you can tell in the bleow pictures the air ride is jacked and there was no way I was going to drive the car that distance with air ride issues.

I looked at flying in and renting a uhaul and trailer, but it was going to be well over $1000, which I thought was way too much. I also looked into driving a uhaul from here and going to get it and bringing it back, but after I found out that for round trips uhaul charges $0.89 a mile, which is over $1500 in just mileage, plus rental, plus gas, plus hotel, plus food etc.

So I finally decided to hire a company to ship it for me. I must have filled out 100 quote requests online. After about a week of talking do different companys I decided to pick one and hope for the best. Well we had a contract that was 14 days long, if they didnt find a driver then I wasnt out any money. Well that time came and went and I was stuck without my car and without the purchase price of the car.

That is when I decided to hire a private contractor on uship.com. After looking for days and finally picking a driver that had amazing credentials I sent a deposit and he said I would have the car in two days. So i sent the money and two days later I get a phone call from the driver saying the owners wernt home and didnt know what to do. Well after many phone calls we finally determined that he never let the owner know he was coming to get it. which in my book was his fault, but thats another story.

So the first shipping company let me down, I got stuck paying a deposit with the private contractor, and I still have no car.

I finally broke down and asked my boss, who owns quite a few car dealerships in the area, and is a car collector, who he uses to ship his hot rods and customs large distances. (he usually takes between 5-10 cars to barrett-jackson). He put me in contact with his assistant. I gave her all the particulars and she posted it online on some shippers website. After 3 weeks I had lost all hope with her until monday, when she layed the contract on my desk and told me it would be here wednesday. Of course I was SUPER excited.

Well the driver called all mad that the air ride was shot (which he already knew), and he spent 2 hours getting the car onto the truck, and of course he wanted more money. At this point I didnt really have a choice since he already had the car loaded and it looked like I was finally going to get my car.

As some of you read in my other thread he never showed up yesterday. I got a phone call about 9pm of him letting me know the weather had delayed him and he would deliver it first thing thurs (today), but wanted a flatbed there to help him unload it (see pics).

So today, 2 months after I payed for the car, I finally get it. Getting it off the truck wasnt too bad, ended taking about an hour to get it on the ground, but never scraped and there was no damage to the car.

Im super excited to get started working on it and already have a parts list going. It just sucks Im broke and am going to have to wait a while to buy anything for it.

I want to have it running better, all fixed up, and looking good by carlisle, but can see the amount of work I have to do to get it there.

If it wernt for this site I would have never bought this car, so I have you guys to thank.

I plan on fixing the air ride first, then getting the maintenance up to date, and return this baby back to showroom beautiful, or at least as close I can get it on my limited budget.

For those of you that are a little slow, I wont point fingers, here are the particulars:

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII Convertible built by Coach Builders LTD and is only one of 23 produced. It is unknown how many of them were triple black.

after MANY emails back and forth with the owner of coach builders I was able get very limited information on the convertibles. Most of the info I have gathered has come from countless hours of searching here and on other websites. I was able to finally get a list of the original owners and addresses of the people who ordered convertibles.

strangely enough the car I bought was first on the list, however I could not confirm with coach builders if this was in fact the first one built for a customer. They had purged their system on information that old. So that leaves me wondering.

The car is absolutely filthy. I consider myself an ametuer detailer with little experience, and I know this is WAY over my head. I dont think the car has ever been waxed, but all that will change after I get a chance to buff it.

Here are the long awaited pictures, ENJOY!!

2805b34.jpg

i6b9sh.jpg

2utlyyg.jpg

2k1pjt.jpg

2e4x8ar.jpg

28rmiis.jpg

2s1ue8k.jpg

159h04.jpg

ad2dmd.jpg

no8002.jpg

90n91i.jpg

vvtck.jpg

sorry for the long post, thanks for reading. Ill be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress!

Sweet... :D

looks like the vent solenoid is open? and the car vented front to back?

When I want to lift mine in a hurry it seems quicker to lift the nose way high, and then vent across and let the weight of the nose drop to inflate the back bags.

Anyway, bring it to Carlisle regardless! :D

:D -J

I am not gonna lie, I knew all along you're updating the sig with a convertible, one of each kind of thing.

Hopefully it was a good buy.

Ya but mow I'm broke lol

You know... if you really wanna be "that guy" who has the the 2nd Gen CE, the 1st Gen LSC, the convertible...

I think you have to buy one of those folding door MK8s...

No more complaining about money... show us how it's done and start snagging prototype MK8s... :D :D :D

Yeah, there were at least 2 folding door MK8s, so finding 1 of them shouldn't be that hard... I bet the Tasca Super Mark is still out there somewhere, that would be a good investment... :D also, find the 94 Rosemist 40V, cause I'd like to actually see the 5V per cylinder heads on that....

Get to work!!! :D :D :D
I'd like to see all these by Carlisle... :D :D :D

You know... if you really wanna be "that guy" who has the the 2nd Gen CE, the 1st Gen LSC, the convertible...

I think you have to buy one of those folding door MK8s...

No more complaining about money... show us how it's done and start snagging prototype MK8s... :D :D :D

Yeah, there were at least 2 folding door MK8s, so finding 1 of them shouldn't be that hard... I bet the Tasca Super Mark is still out there somewhere, that would be a good investment... :D also, find the 94 Rosemist 40V, cause I'd like to actually see the 5V per cylinder heads on that....

Get to work!!! :D :D :D
I'd like to see all these by Carlisle... :D :D :D

Its funny you mentioned the super mark because the girlfriend asked me If i was done since we have a good collection of rare mark viii's. I laughed and said nope, we still have to buy the supermark. I think if I start saving now I might have enough to buy it by the time I retire in about 40 years.

with all the time you are spending writing back to everyone's replies, you could be in the shop buffing the damn thing!!!!!

get off the computer and get to work.

Back