Men what kind of razor do you use?

Bill Eynon III

Registered
I only ask because I was given a wonderful Christmas present by my best friend. I have been turned on to the old way of shaving. I am now wet shaving with a double edged safety razor. I am using a shaving soap, cup, and brush to make a nice lather. This is almost a zen thing for me now. It is a way to give myself the best shave I have ever experienced. I am aware that it is more a process of beard reduction rather than beard removal, but it works wonders on my face. I used to have a great amount of irritation and nicks from multi blade cartridge razors and even single blade disposables. Sure the whole wet shaving process takes about 10 to 15 minutes each day but it forces me to slow down and focus. Oh and I am not putting harsh chemicals on my face daily, and I am saving money. Blades range from 10 to 50 cents a piece and usually one will last from 7 to 9 shaves. The shaving soap also will last a few months and only costs about three dollars a cake. Maybe you will use about two to three cakes a year. In these economic times I just find this better than spending ten dollars on a four pack of multi blade cartridges that may last about a month not to mention some of the higher cost shaving gels that are recommended by the companies. Is there anyone else that uses this method or has in the past? What are your thoughts on this? Just the ramblings of a man that might be better in another time.

I shave about once a week but please post the shaving kit brand name.
I would love to try that kit.

i shave twice a week, my face and my entire head, so i go through blades like you wouldnt believe. i used to use the persona triflex but they discontinued the replacement blade heads, so now i use gillette mach3 disposable's and old school barbasol beard buster. its what works for me, i have very sensitive skin on my throat and neck so i stick with what works.

I use a single blade disposable - about 1 every 3 months. (I never knew they couldn't be used 100's of times before tossing...). I've also gotten used to shaving 'up' rather than down for a VERY close shave. I guess I've got a tough face...though I do have a sparse beard, so not as much hair to cut as the average guy.

I don't shave... but never mind that...

BILL!!!! Where the hell have you been? I don't think we've seen you for a year and then you pop on and talk about razors? I had to double check to be sure this wasn't an old thread being revived. How's the family? The car(s)? Life? Any chance of seeing you at Carlisle this year?

I will post later about my kit, it is a collection of items that I have owned and have been given to me but all separate not bought together.

Leo by god I would love to make Carlisle this year but it is too soon to tell. Oh and my daughter is fine the rest I will explain in a p.m. to you. Life is ok at best right now. I love my job as a substitute custodian at our local school district. The car, well I have about 2 more years to pay on my Town and Country then it is time to get another Mark VIII. How have you been?

I need to save once a day but sometimes i skip a day.
I use this and get about 20 shaves from a razor.
5-fusion.jpg

And this:
edgeprogel1.jpg

PS: Actually I do shave a little, neck and around the beard. I've always used an electric, never bothered with a blade.

im with Steve, i use the Fusion, but i dont get that many shaves out of one, i dont use the Power one thou, and i use some shave gel that you get at an Adult store called Cooch, so i never get razor burn anymore, its a little bit pricey but oh well, im the guy that can order 6 chicken nuggets, eat 3 and throw 3 out the window

I also like that I am not putting empty cans of shaving goop in a landfill as well as all those cartridges. One shaving soap puck will last half a year or more if used correctly and the metal blades can be recycled. I have started to reduce my environmental footprint.

I also like that I am not putting empty cans of shaving goop in a landfill as well as all those cartridges. One shaving soap puck will last half a year or more if used correctly and the metal blades can be recycled. I have started to reduce my environmental footprint.

Since I use a Braun electric shaver, I guess my environmental footprint is huge. LOL :D

I rarely shave my face 'smooth', I just mow down the stubble.

Same here...I now use my Norelco about every other or 3rd day.....I ain't trying to impress anyone.... retired is fun!

I use the Gillette Fusion Power with shaving soap and brush, works great, I can actually go against the grain the first 3 or 4 uses, can't do that with any other razor I've used.

Since I use a Braun electric shaver, I guess my environmental footprint is huge. LOL :D

I rarely shave my face 'smooth', I just mow down the stubble.

I'm with JP, use the sideburn trimmer on ye' ol' Braun to mow my face down...

Since I'm no longer full time, I don't think I've actually shaved since the beginning of the summer... :D

:D -J

Perhaps I am weird, I shave about 2x a week, and my razor lasts me at least 4-6 months...

I use Mach 3, and soap or edge...

I don't need no steenking razors,I pluck those bastards out one at a time,but by the time you're done it's grown back again. :D;). I use mach 3 and edge,or mach 3 in a hot shower. Steam works wonders on your face.

That's why when you go to a barber shop for a shave, they throw a steaming towel over your face!!! It really softens the beard and you get a much closer shave. Never shave BEFORE you shower...shave after. AND as a bonus, your blade will last much longer!

Back