Where are they?

BlackIceLSC

Registered
I've been on a 5 month search and rescue mission for another car....specific year(s)/model(s) apply.
I can not find one ANYWHERE near me.
2006-2011 Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis

MUST HAVES = leather, adjustable pedals, under 100k miles, under $7k

I stretched my parameters a bit in the price cap, but the mileage has to justify it.
I considered a Marauder, but honestly, I dont need a TOY, I need/want a simple, slow cruiser that isn't on the "specialty" car list. Plus the fact that the marauders are few and far between, and the price is 2x what I have budgeted for.

It seems these cars have all but disappeared. I tried to justify their absence with such thoughts as:
"old folks bought them, and old folks keep their cars until they die, wreck, or can't drive anymore"
"they were driven for over 100k miles, so they all go to auction once traded in and scab-lots scoop them up"
"They are STILL on the road since the engines seem to last forever"
"They were all destroyed when grandpa hit a tree on the way to the golf course or the Elk's Lodge"
"California smog nazi's offered a pretty penny for the gubmint buy-back program to get the boats off the roads"

They just can not be found anywhere near me....like, within 50 miles. I check multiple times daily...classifieds, web sites, used-car web sites, etc...dealer sites...none...well, some, but too rough, too much money, or too few of my check-list items.
All the CV's a Police Interceptors....NOPE...been there/done that. Craig wants LUXURY, not "oh, neat, a Police car"
I want what I use to have...4 doors, leather, RWD, V8, Ford product, but this times, NO modifications, NO "I did this myself" touches....Just a nice, comfy, easy-to-own, cheap to maintain cruiser that I can rely on 365 days a year. I dont need 30 mpg. I dont need 300 hp, I dont need a sound system that makes the license plate rattle, I dont need exhaust that the neighbors complain about when I leave for work. I need comfort, heat, a trunk, no torque-steer, a large gas tank, and something I dont have to constantly read the forums about how to fix the bits that always seem to be the short-comings of a car that they haven't built in 20 years.
OK, I will modify one thing...I will tint the windows...I need tint...I cant have the FISH BOWL look, and since most of my driving is in the dark, I abhor headlights in my rear view mirror that distract me.
Ok, I will also add an aftermarket stereo so I can connect my iphone via USB for Pandora and hands-free calling.

I wont buy off auction sites. I MUST see and drive the car in person. 96 miles away are the closest ones...too far to go 'see' a car.

Well, I loosened the reins a bit and bit the bullet. I found one in Sacramento that fits the bill. I decided to rent a car as a ONE WAY option and make the journey. I leave in about an hour. It's 27 degrees out, and my trusty Toyota Yaris rental is waiting...and for the record, I am at a loss as to why ANYONE would EVER buy a Yaris....EVER. It sounds like a 2-stroke motor cycle just trying to get up to speed, never mind the ergonomics of the driver's controls/seat/steering wheel/pedal lay-out. I am convinced it is just a re-designed piece of poo. But its my poo for a day(hopefully). My local body shop set it up as a round-trip rental option, just in case my potential purchase turns out to be NOT.

Wish me luck, and if all goes well, there WILL be photos later of my new-found steed.

Clif from the Yosemite area will take ownership of my 98 LSC soon.

Last edited:
Back