Odd Transmission Problems

baggedmk8

Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 94 Mark VIII and earlier today it started hesitating real bad and by the time I made it home I found out that it is stuck in drive. It currently does the following:

In park it wants to go forward
In reverse it remains still and doesn't move an inch no matter how much i accelerate
In neutral it goes forward
In drive and the remaining gears it moves forward, but it feels like the emergency brake is on.

Also I have a 96 Mark VIII that ran perfectly and I am going to put the motor in my 94 but I am unsure if it will work since it's OBD 2. I was told previously that it would fit and others said it wouldn't.

Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

Replace the MLPS. It is located on the side of the tranny under the car.

Do a search for MLPS and a lot of things will pop up.

Check your transmission fluid level first, before replacing parts. Low fluid levels will make your transmission do weird things too.

I'm just guessing, but I think it may be the shifter cable more than anything else? I'm pretty sure the MLPS does not physically shift the transmission but tells the PCM where the shifter is so it knows how to control the shift points (besides the obvious reverse function).

I'm just guessing, but I think it may be the shifter cable more than anything else? I'm pretty sure the MLPS does not physically shift the transmission but tells the PCM where the shifter is so it knows how to control the shift points (besides the obvious reverse function).

Good point...and checking the fluid and shifter cable doesn't cost anything if you can check it yourself.

I checked the fluid and it was dark and smelled burnt so I think it is gone. I was told that the clutches may have welded themselves together. I haven't had a chance to pull it out, I will try to put it in my shop tomorrow and begin swapping the motor and trans. .

Last edited:
Back