HOTLNC is getting Old

HOTLNC

Charter Member
Paid Member
Two weeks ago, I got a Low Coolant message on the center display. Sure enough, it was. I could not see any leaks, but since I’m pushing over 100K miles on the second water pump, I figured that was the source of the leak.

I was able to prove it few days ago. I could see radial coolant flow lines from the pulley bolts. I never did see any puddles under the car.

So yesterday, I started to replace it. First I went to my local O’Reilly’s and picked up my free new water pump. Opening the hood, the plastic hood safety release handle popped off of the flat metal lever. I drilled two holes in the plastic and bolted the handle onto the release lever. <Sigh> another sign the car is getting along in years. The plastic is getting brittle.

Instead of draining the radiator, I lifted the car up enough to put a large bucket under the front of the motor. I then pulled the pump. Less than a quart and a half of coolant came out. By the way, the coolant was only a few months old as I replaced it all when I installed a new thermostat. The coolant add bottle and the radiator did not drain. It sure made it easy to refill. I put the same amount of coolant in as I tool out. No burping needed.

Last edited:
Opening the hood, the plastic hood safety release handle popped off of the flat metal lever. I drilled two holes in the plastic and bolted the handle onto the release lever. <Sigh> another sign the car is getting along in years. The plastic is getting brittle.

Yeah, they are getting old. I had my hood release handle break off as well. :eek:

We're all getting old. Read the last few sentences in the first post. I had to read it three times to figure out what was wrong with it. (radio)

That plastic broke off of my black car too. Luckily, I'm taking my red car apart, so I just took the whole thing off and put it on the black car.:)

Back