10 disc cd player

MARKK8

Registered
Can a 10 disc cd player from a 1996 mark viii fit into a 1997 mark viii that did not come with a cd player from the factory ?. If so, do i need to rewire the 1997 or will it already have the wiring from the factory ?
Ths, charlie

You'll definitely want to check for the wiring. It should be on the left side of the trunk, basically below that flap where the air-ride switch is.

It's worth noting that for day-to-day use, the CD changers are pretty unreliable these days. I went through three of them in my old '97 before I gave up. They have a plastic "platter" for the CD that tends to break.

This is what the factory installed one looks like. (on the left..) Ignore the battery on the right. That's.... not original. :D

IMG_20210722_090629641_HDR.jpg

My first gen has the 10 cd player mounted on the right side. It is a rebadged Sony and Sony 10 cd cartridges of the same era fit. With 96 being a transition year I wonder if the same unit was used throughout the production run.

I once got my hands on an older 10-disc Sony (branded) changer that was built quite a bit better than the 97-98 Sony unit. It too, used the same magazines, but there was a lot more metal inside it, including that platter that I'd noticed was a trouble-point in the 97-98 ones.

If the one I saw was indeed the one used in the 1st gen cars, it's definitely the one to have.

1997 Ford MPC (Master Parts Catalog) calls out a 1995 pn for trunk mounted CD player. F5LY-18D806-A.
This catalog does not show substitutions. I have found numerous errors and omissions regarding 97 Mark VIII listings.
Also have numerous Ford O.S.I. (Obsolete Supersede Interchange) catalogs. Sometimes you can determine substitute or obsolete status. I am not fully versed on OSI usage.
The pn F5LY-18D806-A is not listed in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 OSI catalogs.

The 93 and 94 CD changers are different than the 95, 96, 97, 98 units. the F3.... part number for 93 and 94 cars has different plugs and a small metal box on top which is different than the F5.... part number used for the 95, 96, 97, and 98 cars.

Back