cold, sitting, starting

KempoDavid

Registered
Just before Mr. Freeze started taking out his problems on us here in Nebraska (most snow in December in recorded history) the battery on my 2nd Mark went dead. Now, I don't typically drive this car very much in winter, and never in the snow, so it's been parked for about 3 weeks.

I think I want to get it started, I'm scared to leave it dead all winter... so other than a fresh battery, what else should I do before starting it the first time after a 3 week deep-freeze?

Is it parked outside?

Really, after 3 weeks you don't really need to do anything...except make sure the AC is turned off before you start it...and let it idle for a long time.

I wouldn't let it idle for a long time, just enough to warm it up a bit. I drive mine up and down the driveway a couple times to keep all the seals from sticking in one spot, and use the brakes to clean the rotors a bit.

When you're done, I'd disconnect the battery if it's going to sit for a while.

I disconnect both battery cables on "Whiner" as it is on jack stands and will leak off any amps thru the stands. I have tried to track where this might come from, but have been unsuccessfull as it is about50 millivolts. I suspect the anti theft system is partially responsible. I only fire it up around 3 times during the winter as doing it too often only add more condensation to the systems.

I have no idea if this is actually good for the car or not, but I hold the gas pedal to the floor to shut off the injectors and let the motor crank a few times to help get a little oil back around the top of the motor before I release the gas and fire it up.

:D -J

Back