Poll: Who had a job last week but not this week

I was out of work over the summer for 3 1/2 months but working now back at the same job for less. It took my wife 6 months to find something as well. After we got married last year she had to leave the job she had.

I went from being a Motorcycle Tech for 3 years, to being unemployed about 3 weeks ago. Just got a job Serving at a local restaurant.. all I could find.. :(

I was off for 7 months, from my job of almost 21 years.

Working on a temp basis now at a really nice place through January. They say it could be permanent, but they can't promise me anything. (hope,hope!)

Hang in there! The worst thing for me was suddenly having no schedule, after always being a very busy person through the week ;)

I was laid of on new years eve 2007 after the housing market crashed (I worked for National City Mortgage) Got 6 months severance but picked up a temp job after 4 months. Been there 18 months now and they are finally looking at hiring me full time. Its an IT job so more in line with my major (network engineering)

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you find something good soon.

The Kid's still on his union's waiting list or whatever for a job. I'm still unemployed/retired/disabled/lazy, take your pick ;)

I'll never be out of work, thankfully

LOL.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish there was no need for your job. I think you are right though your job is secure. (I almost said safe, but that's not true)

Be safe and keep up the good work!

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you find something good soon.

Something great will happen soon. (I HOPE!)

I'm very tired. Four preinterviews today, the longest was 3 hours with a followup on Wed. They want to see a plan from me on how I can make them money before they will "interview" me. LOL

I'll start on that in the morning. Hope i can sleep.

Last edited:
I was laid of on new years eve 2007 after the housing market crashed (I worked for National City Mortgage) Got 6 months severance but picked up a temp job after 4 months. Been there 18 months now and they are finally looking at hiring me full time. Its an IT job so more in line with my major (network engineering)

Hey, small world. We've just had to default on our loan with National City because I was laid off earlier this year.

I haven't had a real job since the spring :D

it's honestly been kinda nice, I normally work 80-90 hours a week... :frown:

I think the real question is how many people were laid off twice from the same job within a week... :D

:D -J

I think the real question is how many people were laid off twice from the same job within a week... :D

Not me, but I've been 'let go' from a job for having too much experience, 'let go' from another because a coworker didn't like me, and 'let go' from yet another because the company owner didn't like "...the way I looked at her..." (Maybe if she didn't knowingly hire illegal immigrants, she wouldn't be so paranoid) In all cases, the unemployment department agreed they were all frivolous and awarded me compensation. Hurray for Cali's 'At-will' employment laws. I'm starting to rethink my opposition to labor unions...

LOL.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wish there was no need for your job. I think you are right though your job is secure. (I almost said safe, but that's not true)

Be safe and keep up the good work!
thanks, will do ;)

Well, Brad was laid off January 15 . . . I was laid off January 22. I was sure I wouldn't return and he would, and I was right ;)

I had my position eliminated on the 16th. of November. I was a Supervisor @ a warehouse making $40+ yearly. I worked there for 9 years. the place quit hiring in Nov of 08. They let go 5 other Sups before me & their headcount has went from 165 to 76.
I was actually happy to be let go. I know it sounds stupid, but I hated that place. It went from a good place to work to a dismal fear factory of sorts. They actually wanted us to go around & scare the crap out of people to get them to work harder, & I mean good people. This was a place where politics & brown nosing took precedence over actually doing a good job. It's not in me to act other than myself.
Luckily for us, my wife returned to full-time work in July. I've never had to draw unemployment before but i'm now glad that it's there. I got 14 weeks of severance pay & also had a few thousand put back from an insurance settlement. Our house got robbed a few weeks before this, but they only took our guns & random crap like my change jar. It made for a decent check. We were just about to use the money & put new siding on my house, sell it, & move to a better area. Before we could do that, I was diagnosed with a blood clot & had to undergo surgery. I was out for 2 weeks, this was no biggie because I had 5 weeks of paid time on the books. I was asked to file FMLA after the 5th day out. 2 days after I returned, I was let go. November was the worst month ever for me! I'm so glad it's over!
I've started to realize that alot of these companies look solely at your pay rate when making these decisions. They don't seem to care about your skills, abilities, or capacities.
I've made up my mind to find a job at a smaller company. Preferably something with a home office in the same building that i'd be working in. I've been in school part time for nearly 2 years so that's almost over.
I feel for anyone that's lost their livelyhood in the past year. I'm sure that all of you did a good job & none of you deserved it. I'm also glad to hear that some of you are finding new jobs. I wish you all the best of luck. Sorry for the run-on paragraph, I don't post as much as I should. But I read everything.

Congrats Barry, that's such great news!

Matt, that sucks! However, take a look at the situation, and you may be able to file a complaint with your EEOC or even file a lawsuit against your former company. I hope the surgery helps, blood clots are scary. Best wishes to you and your family for 2010, and I hope you find a job you like.

YES!!! I'm back to work on Monday.

A three month kinda paid vacation (well time off).

Excellent!!! :D

This was a place where politics & brown nosing took precedence over actually doing a good job.

That isn't everyplace? :D

I feel for anyone that's lost their livelyhood in the past year. I'm sure that all of you did a good job & none of you deserved it.

I did a excellent job, but I was a total anarchist in my last school... :D

Glad the surgery went well!

Back