Collectors Edtion Steering Wheel Restoration Complete!!!!

k9t8m

Registered
As some of you might remember after I bought my CE a few months back (like 6) I decided to restore the factory wood grain steering wheel instead of waiting for one to pop on ebay that was in the condition I liked.

Well I decided to redo the wood first, that way i wouldn't get any material on the fresh leather.

I asked around to some family members that are into building furniture and are alot more knowledgeable about wood than i am, and finally came up with some good advice.

basically what I did was hit it with some very light grit sandpaper to start off with, close to 800 to scuff it up. I then gave it a few coats of clear to build up the material. I didn't want to go sanding the imperfections out right off the bat because I wasn't sure how thick the factory clear was on the wood. after a few coats of clear I baked it in the paint booth to make sure it cured properly. I started to sand out the imperfections out, but the clear was sanding very easily and i knew i would have to put a few more coats on and keep sanding it until they were all gone. After like coating, baking, and sanding it like 4 times, I finally got it where I wanted it. I scuffed it again and shot a couple of light coats on it to get it real smooth. I baked it one last time, and polished that baby up. Turned out better than I could have ever hoped. Not bad for my first real wood project.

here is a pic of what it looked like after it came out of the booth the final time.

2uze6c6.jpg

These pictures are after the wood was done, but before the leather was done. I tried taking pics of the damaged wood, but it was really hard to see any imperfections in the pictures.

de21lf.jpg

3586sk1.jpg

mry681.jpg

So my next step was to find a shop to redo the leather, which that in itself was a huge chore. I called every upholsterer in the phone book and no one would touch it.

Some of you may remember I put a CE wheel in my 96 LSC and the shop that did it did an absolutely fantastic job, but they have since closed and moved to cali.

So anyway I was just about to give up all together and put the wheel back in the car when my boss, who owns like 7 car dealerships, and is an avid car collector gave me the name of a shop about 40 miles away. I called them and after I let him know who I worked for he decided to do it. Its nice to have connections. :)

So last friday at like 6 he calls me and lets me know its done. It would have been nice to have it done before the Xmas party but oh well.

I finally put it on today and it turned out great. It was expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.

Here are a few pics.

978dg2.jpg

30w1j5j.jpg

2jag5sj.jpg

the color looks a little off in the pictures, but its really not that bad.

very nice, it is always rewarding when you do something yourself and you get it just they way you want it.

...basically what I did was hit it with some very light grit sandpaper to start off with, close to 800 to scuff it up. I then gave it a few coats of clear to build up the material. I didn't want to go sanding the imperfections out right off the bat because I wasn't sure how thick the factory clear was on the wood. after a few coats of clear I baked it in the paint booth to make sure it cured properly. I started to sand out the imperfections out, but the clear was sanding very easily and i knew i would have to put a few more coats on and keep sanding it until they were all gone. After like coating, baking, and sanding it like 4 times, I finally got it where I wanted it. I scuffed it again and shot a couple of light coats on it to get it real smooth. I baked it one last time, and polished that baby up.

That's the definition of "anal" if I ever heard one. ;)

Beautiful wheel! FYI, next time anyone needs restitching or leather replacement check out www.american-stitches.com, they'll do the wood also. I think they have a pic of a Lincoln wheel on their site if I remember.

Wait, you just bought a convertible are are restoring that.....you have two project marks right now?

Anyway, the wheel looks GREAT!

Beautiful wheel! FYI, next time anyone needs restitching or leather replacement check out www.american-stitches.com, they'll do the wood also. I think they have a pic of a Lincoln wheel on their site if I remember.

actually i looked into a few companys like that but most of them want $700+ to restore a steering wheel, and i didnt even come anywhere near that price.

Wait, you just bought a convertible are are restoring that.....you have two project marks right now?

Anyway, the wheel looks GREAT!

Not really. I keep having to tell myself that the CE is a DD, not a show car, but i have an obsession with steering wheels being perfect so I couldn't leave it alone.

Back