Fuel pump replacement HELP!!!

They are all pretty much the same pump, each just comes with various levels of 'hardware'.

For instance, you didn't need to buy a new tank plate, but it will work just the same.

So is it the same procedures on replacing them?
Or is there a write up some were for the 97-98 model?

All Mark Vlll's change out the same. TOCCA is also showing the fuel filter as well. You should be sure that you change out your old one when installing a new pump.

Yeah!
That's were I started because you CAN hear the fuel pump turn on but it desent create pressure.

Thanks

walbro 255 lph pump, on 97 and 98 make sure when you hook up the new pump to the sending unit, you wire the polarities in reverse. black to red, red to black, otherwise the new pump will run in reverse and actually blow bubbles into the tank and the car wont start. i found out the hard way, i had to re-drop the tank and pull it all apart again.

Can't the wires be reversed ANYWHERE OUTSIDE the tank area? Or do you have to reverse ONLY the wires at the pump inside the tank?

I'm doing the job NOW.
I took the 2 straps that hold the gas tank, but the sucker isn't coming down yet.
What I'm I missing?

Well job is ALMOST done and the car fired right up!! :D
All I have to do tomorrow is put the exhaust back up on its mounts sence is getting really cold allready and we are ready to roll.

One again you all have came through for me on helping me fix my car.

Thanks. :)

Can't the wires be reversed ANYWHERE OUTSIDE the tank area? Or do you have to reverse ONLY the wires at the pump inside the tank?

you can reverse it anywhere, but you have to pull the pump out of the tank and remove it from the plastic bucket it is inside of, so its easiest to just do it at the pump, when i did it, i put it all back together before i knew this, i should have saved myself a headache and reversed it under the car, but i did not want to cut anything on my customers car, so i dropped the whole tank again, what a pita too because it had 10 gallons of gas in it.

Today after putting the exhaust back on and taking it for a test drive, the center console seas "fuel sender short" & it marks empty all the time. What did I do wrong?

The fuel sender is separate from the pump so the polarity shouldn't be a problem. The sender is part of the assembly though. I'd drop the front of the tank down and check the wires, you might have trapped a wire between the tank and floor and shorted it out.

If you don't see it there, you might have to pull the assembly out again to check the wires inside the tank.

The pump has 2 connectors one goes by the dive shaft and the other one goes to another part on top of the fuel tank, is that the fuel sender?

Because if it is I remember "something" cracking when I was disconecting that part. :(

you either didnt plug it back in outside the tank, or when you put the basket and pump back into the tank you may have jammed the sending unit float into a place it isnt suppose to be, that skinny metal arm with a yellow piece of foam on it, is what tells you where your fuel level is.

Back