IMRC problem...

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
That's right it's code P1518 baby... yeah... :p

Ok, so I actually did use the search function and read up a little on this... so here is what I 'think' I know, feel free to correct me... :D

The intake manifold runner control? on the pass side? is stuck... open?

How am I doin' so far?

I read all about seafoaming which to be honest sounds like a pain in the ass.
Is there a part of the IMRC that can be physically moved without having to take the intake off the car? and what am I even looking for?

my MK btw is a 98...

Ok, let the help begin! :D

Thanks!
:D -J

Seafoam! :D

I know on my cars you can barely reach the IMRC actuator on the rear of the IMRCs to manually exercise them after ingesting some SeaFoam to help loosen them up.

I don't know the best place to put the SeaFoam in on a Gen2 intake though. You want a direct vacuum source to the middle of the intake plenum.

Here is the back side of my motor where you can see the left and right IMRC cables and where you can try to move the butterflies with your hand. I have the Cobra intake, but the IMRC's are in the same spot regardless if on the Cobra or gen 2 intake.

DSC00644.JPG

Ok, I found the pass side thing, and I can actually get a pretty good grip on it, but I'm not sure how much pressure I should use. I gave it a little grunt and it didn't seem to want to budge, so I figured before I break something I'd ask... :D

As for the seafoam, how much smoke are we talking about? should I not use it in my neighborhood?

Also, I could only guess on which lines are vacuum lines, so where else could I put the seafoam in? Could I just take off the IAC and dump it in there?

Thanks!!!

If I recall, I disconnected the vacuum hose from the PCV, and I stuck a small hose inside the PCV vacuum hose to suck the seafoam out of the can. I bought the small vacuum line hose - about the same size as a fish tank hose, at auto zone. About 3-4 feet of vacuum hose should be good. The PCV is located on the drivers side rear cam cover. :)

I would try the seafoam and then try to move the IMRC after the treatment. You should have a tremendous amount of smoke if done right.

Last edited:
ok, so I'm gonna have to wait on the seafoam them.

and pouring it in where the IAC is, is not a good idea?

Thanks!

Would you normally be able to move the IMRC with the engine not running?

Cause if so... they are mucho stucko...

Thanks!

From the looks of the pic Mike posted you should be able to move them with the engine running or not.

I would not 'dump' seafoam in, it needs to be sucked in via vacuum to get distributed to where it needs to go. The PCV line should work good enough.

Your neighbors will love it! :D

Someone with a Gen2 will have to post up, I know it's different and I don't think Mike has one. :p

lol yes, my PCV is long gone. The PCV is located on the drivers side, rear of the cam cover - near the fire wall. It is located by the brake fluid reservoir. The PCV actually plugs into the cam cover.

pcv_valve.jpg

Thank you Mike... :D

Ok, I seafomed the car twice...

The first time I used maybe a little more then 1/3 of the bottle.
There was some smoke, I drove the car...
Still couldn't free up the IMRC...

Second time, I used the rest of the bottle.
There was a ton of smoke, enough to not be able to see around me...
Still couldn't free up the IMRC...

I did buy a second bottle, is it worth going for round 3 and maybe 4,
or should I just face that I'm going to have to pull the intake off.

How do you get to thing anyway? Is pulling the intake off a huge PITA?

Thanks!!!

...Just curious... Whats the point of restricting airflow with the IMRCs anyway? Wouldn't it be better just to have them open? The look like they cut airflow by half... :confused:

...Just curious... Whats the point of restricting airflow with the IMRCs anyway? Wouldn't it be better just to have them open? The look like they cut airflow by half... :confused:

That is an excellent question... and while I don't know the answer, it makes me think of a similar question...

Are they always open when the car is running?
Every time I checked them when the car was running, the cable had them pulled open. The only time the cable was slack was when the car was off...

Thanks!

So BTW I did partially remove the IAC off the top of the intake and pour the seafoam into the intake right behind the throttle body.

I assume that is just as good as using the PCV?

Is the seafoam supposed to make the engine rev a little?
Why not just pour it in without the motor running?

Thanks!

If it revved it was because you pulled the IACV.

I don't know about pouring it in, but when using a vacuum feed line you want to vacuum the SeaFoam out of a container as quickly as possible without causing to to stall and shut the car off as soon as you are done adding the SeaFoam. Let the car sit for a few minutes, then start it up and throttle the engine to clear out the dissolved deposits. Afterwards - take the car out on a 'spirited' drive making sure you get WOT several times (safely).

Repeat treatments until no more smoke is produced. Dump any leftover SeaFoam in the gas tank.

If it revved it was because you pulled the IACV.

I don't know about pouring it in, but when using a vacuum feed line you want to vacuum the SeaFoam out of a container as quickly as possible without causing to to stall and shut the car off as soon as you are done adding the SeaFoam. Let the car sit for a few minutes, then start it up and throttle the engine to clear out the dissolved deposits. Afterwards - take the car out on a 'spirited' drive making sure you get WOT several times (safely).

Repeat treatments until no more smoke is produced. Dump any leftover SeaFoam in the gas tank.

I actually had to be careful not to open to much of a hole or the engine would die...

I'm gonna try to pour the seafoam as fast as possible next time and see what happens...

The spirited driving hasn't been a problem... :D

I brought it over to my folks place because they've got plenty of space, but I suppose after the second time of seafoming it, and firing it up, and running the motor at 4K rpm for a few min... the neighbors were bound to wonder what was going on... So after I backed out of the driveway, and did a large powerslide down the street I blew by some of the neighbors standing at the end of their driveway... oops... :D

Back