Heated Seats...

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
Ok, how crazy is this, or maybe not? :D

Since I'm still under the MK8 spell again, and have been actually driving my poor poor car around for the last few days, I've been thinking about trying to get another 98.

I've found a nice silver/black but it doesn't have heated seats...

How much of a PITA would it be to put a factory heated seat console in the car? I'm guessing the wiring would have to be added, as well as whatever relays? And the seats would either have to be swapped out, or modified to add heating elements...

Am I completely crazy for thinking this is doable?

:D -J

I purchased the dash switch panel and then found out how expensive and difficult the job is. I decided to go with an aftermarket set and added the switches to the existing panel. If you want to go factory I'll let you have the switch panel for the cost of shipping.

It's not difficult nor expensive if you have all the donor parts. The heater control wiring is part of the dash wiring, and would need to be swapped over. Now it's trivial to trace the wiring, and extract only the wires needed. Next time one of us has a parts car, have them extract that, and it's a simple wiring job. Really. It's heated seats your after, not ECU or engine wiring (not that it's a big deal either) ;)

The heating elements are glued (with a simple spray on glue) to the leather to that they're close to your know what.
You could always use aftermarket elements, and just reuse the stock wiring the keep the nice control panel.

I purchased the dash switch panel and then found out how expensive and difficult the job is. I decided to go with an aftermarket set and added the switches to the existing panel. If you want to go factory I'll let you have the switch panel for the cost of shipping.

Thank you! I'll let you know if I pick up a car with no heated seats...

It's not difficult nor expensive if you have all the donor parts. The heater control wiring is part of the dash wiring, and would need to be swapped over. Now it's trivial to trace the wiring, and extract only the wires needed. Next time one of us has a parts car, have them extract that, and it's a simple wiring job. Really. It's heated seats your after, not ECU or engine wiring (not that it's a big deal either) ;)

The heating elements are glued (with a simple spray on glue) to the leather to that they're close to your know what.
You could always use aftermarket elements, and just reuse the stock wiring the keep the nice control panel.

And yes, I'm a simple man... I'm all about comfort... :D

or you could just make some seat covers out of an old warming blanket, and get a power converter, rofl
or move to texas where you dont need heated seats
i promise that May thru November theyll be plenty warm :)

or you could just make some seat covers out of an old warming blanket, and get a power converter, rofl
or move to texas where you dont need heated seats
i promise that May thru November theyll be plenty warm :)

Why is it none of the southern MK8 have heated seats...

I use my heated seat year round... :D

I'd love to find a salt free 98 with heated seats and a sunroof...

why dont southern cars have heated seats, i think thats self explainitory..our cool days in the summer are still hovering around 105 degrees
i was sittin in the parking lot waiting on my girlfriend to get out of the store last august and the "outside temp" said it was 134.. why would we need heated seats
this winter we got snow, it melted before it hit the ground
but heated seats can be installed on any seat just run a toggle switch and relays

Last edited:
Back