Bearing hum???

I've been fooled by bearing noise before. Thought it was the front and it turned out to be the rear. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Getting fooled is what I am fearful about. The car has 120KMiles on it so the fronts and rears probably need ot be replaced soon anyways.

best just jack up the suspected wheel, or all of them, check for any play in them, and spin the tire and hold the LCA, if the bearing is bad you should feel vibration, or you can take it to a local "chain shop" ( Midus, Just Brakes, Good Year ect ) most do a free visual inspection and can take it for a quick road test and give you a good idea of the problem

Last edited:
...or you can take it to a local "chain shop" ( Midus, Just Brakes, Good Year ect ) most do a free visual inspection and can take it for a quick road test and give you a good idea of the problem

LOL, last time they took my car for a road test, they didn't want to bring it back! :D

best just jack up the suspected wheel, or all of them, check for any play in them, and spin the tire and hold the LCA, if the bearing is bad you should feel vibration, or you can take it to a local "chain shop" ( Midus, Just Brakes, Good Year ect ) most do a free visual inspection and can take it for a quick road test and give you a good idea of the problem

As far as I know, Sears also does a free front end check. I've dealt with a few worn hub bearing assemblies between my '94 and my Explorer I had. If you only hear the sound while driving straight or, for example, while turning right, chances are your driver's side is bad. If you can hear it at different volumes depending on weight transfer (braking, accelerating), that may help you to troubleshoot at which end you have the bad bearing, as well.

Dog- lift the front wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel with no weight on it. You should hear noise from the offending bearing. Note that you should change these in pairs (ie both fronts or both rears). With the mileage stated you are due for new front bearings if they haven't been changed out already.

'Boss....they have never been changed. Sounds like it is comming from the drivers front but as JP stated that can always be decieving

Rene...I may be experiencing what you did. it sounds like tire hum. I just had my tires rotated and balance which did not eliminate it.

Rene...I may be experiencing what you did. it sounds like tire hum. I just had my tires rotated and balance which did not eliminate it.[/QUOTE]

if youve had the tires rotated and the problem persist, then i would eliminate that idea, unless all of your tires are the same tread, and are they aggresive tires? just jack up the tires and spin them, this only takes a few minutes

Dog- Take the weight off the wheel and if it hums or makes noises other than bake drag replace the bearings ( mine made a noise like a bicycle chain hum also).

Mine was the driver's front, and I couldn't believe how quiet the car was once it was fixed.

Just changed out the bearings on both sides. They were absolutely shot. The only problem is now I can hear some faint noises from the rear. Time to rebuild that end.

Just changed out the bearings on both sides. They were absolutely shot. The only problem is now I can hear some faint noises from the rear. Time to rebuild that end.

Glad you got it fixed . . . I wonder if I should get my passenger front replaced this Spring?

Back