Upgrading Headlights in 1994 - Need Advice

Fife

Registered
I am considering upgrading the halogen headlights in my 1994 Mark VIII. I have looked into two options. 1) Higher performance halogen bulbs; such as Slyvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra. They run about $38 a pair. 2) Halogen to HID conversion "plug-n-play" kits. Run about $100 or so on Ebay. I noticed the HID conversions are for low beams only. What's the deal with that?

Anyone have some recommendations on either option? What kind of luck have you had with these? I am really interested in the HID conversion kit but will consider the Silverstar option too. Would the Silverstar bulbs; being brighter (and possibly hotter) damage the reflector? I understand the headlight fixtures degrade over time. On the HID color temp, I would probably stay around 6000K.

Thanks, Fife

I have a 94 that I put new headlight units in and also HID HI/LO bulbs. I gave about $120 for them and have had them about six months. I dont know if I can find out whom I got them from but I will audit my paypal account. I particualry like this set because it powers the bulbs thru its own relay which is supplied with the kit.

Seller was hid949@hotmail.com
eBay item #260349095901
phone 909-598-9230
bought 1-21-2009

Last edited:
For the 1st gen IMO you need the factory HIDs...

After market HIDs in the sucky stock housing really won't make a big difference... To much beveled glass... Lincoln HIDs have clear lenses so not only do they look way cooler, they don't scatter the light.

Again, IMO I wouldn't buy a color temp hight then 5000K, most factory lights (I'm pretty sure) are around 4300K...

:D -J

send me your housings to rechrome them inside and return them to brand new condition and then install an HID kit in them so you can see deer in the next state over from you!

For the 1st gen IMO you need the factory HIDs...

After market HIDs in the sucky stock housing really won't make a big difference... To much beveled glass... Lincoln HIDs have clear lenses so not only do they look way cooler, they don't scatter the light.

Again, IMO I wouldn't buy a color temp hight then 5000K, most factory lights (I'm pretty sure) are around 4300K...

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Have you even tried it?

HID conversion with old design housings made a HUGE difference in my car...though my reflectors are in very good condition. If your reflectors are shot, converting may not yield much.

And the beveled glass is what focuses the light onto the road...those bevels are still there on the new designs, they are on the reflector itself. As long as the front of the lenses have been sanded/polished, they are almost as good as the new designs.

No need to drop $500-$1000 on new Gen 1 housings. Yes, they look cool, but for that amount of money, you can put some fantastic looking rims on the car.

All this isn't even 'IMO', it's all facts and first-hand experience.

BadSax must moonlight as a Lincoln dealership parts sales rep... ;)

Last edited:
send me your housings to rechrome them inside and return them to brand new condition and then install an HID kit in them so you can see deer in the next state over from you!

He did this to my lights.. And let me tell you after i got the HIDs in it made a amazing difference even if they were just the low beams:)

JAMIE,
How much would you charge to do a set of Gen I lamps? (plus freight back of course).

i do all gen 1 housings for $100 a pair flat fee. plus shipping back, usually 12 bucks roughly. i'm telling you, if it didnt work, i wouldnt have done about 40 pairs of all your headlights. not only does it work awesome, but its extremely cheap compared to other options. and LASTS TOO.

i do all gen 1 housings for $100 a pair flat fee. plus shipping back, usually 12 bucks roughly. i'm telling you, if it didnt work, i wouldnt have done about 40 pairs of all your headlights. not only does it work awesome, but its extremely cheap compared to other options. and LASTS TOO.

If mine weren't still in great condition, I would take Jamie up on this. This is the most cost effective way to great lights.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Have you even tried it?

HID conversion with old design housings made a HUGE difference in my car...though my reflectors are in very good condition. If your reflectors are shot, converting may not yield much.

And the beveled glass is what focuses the light onto the road...those bevels are still there on the new designs, they are on the reflector itself. As long as the front of the lenses have been sanded/polished, they are almost as good as the new designs.

No need to drop $500-$1000 on new Gen 1 housings. Yes, they look cool, but for that amount of money, you can put some fantastic looking rims on the car.

All this isn't even 'IMO', it's all facts and first-hand experience.

BadSax must moonlight as a Lincoln dealership parts sales rep... ;)

Wait, I was a little confused as to whether you thought I was right or wrong? :D

Have I ever tried putting HIDs in stock non HID housing... or course not...
If there is an option between cheap and easy, and expensive and difficult,
I think we all know... expensive and difficult almost wins... :D

Of course HID will be brighter, but my first hand experience is that cars with beveled glass and non factory HIDs are blinding, light is not really focused, it seem brighter in front of the car because HIDs put out two or more times the volume of light, but the light isn't really useful at any great distance.

I wish any dealership gave me kickbacks... man that would be nice. I do get a decent discount at my local Lincoln for parts however... but I think that's from years of buying lots of stupidly expensive MK8 parts... :D

Wait, I was a little confused as to whether you thought I was right or wrong? :D

Have I ever tried putting HIDs in stock non HID housing... or course not...
If there is an option between cheap and easy, and expensive and difficult,
I think we all know... expensive and difficult almost wins... :D

Of course HID will be brighter, but my first hand experience is that cars with beveled glass and non factory HIDs are blinding, light is not really focused, it seem brighter in front of the car because HIDs put out two or more times the volume of light, but the light isn't really useful at any great distance.

I wish any dealership gave me kickbacks... man that would be nice. I do get a decent discount at my local Lincoln for parts however... but I think that's from years of buying lots of stupidly expensive MK8 parts... :D

The light is not scattered because of the beveled lens, its scattered because the lens hasn't been sanded/polished, so it is pitted and yellow from age and UV light. The bevels are there to focus the light...ask anyone who knows.

If you were to see my HIDs in old design housings, you would agree. I'll see if I can take a decent photo.

I have a couple more questions:

1) What is HIR? Was that a typo or is HIR another type of lamp that I need to consider?

2) I read on another thread that HID doesn't like to be turned on an off repeatedly (hot restrike). Is this an issue to be concerned about? Someone stated that there is a way to make the low beams stay on when the high beams are selected. Can anyone explain how to make that modification or point me to some previously submitted directions? If I do this will it cause problems with the electrical system?

3) My housing, reflector, and lens are all in good shape. I am leaning toward putting a plug-n-play HID conversion into my 1994. What brand should I buy or avoid? I guess this stuff is for low beams only??? What would I do for the high beams?

Thanks, Fife

1) HIR =Halogen InfraRed Reflecting. They have a special coating on the bulb that reflects infrared light (heat) and keeps it inside the bulb. The result is a cooler, brighter bulb and less heat in the lamp housing.

They are sparse, expensive and hard to find but worth the search and the price. http://hirheadlights.com/

2) There are special relay kits that will keep the low beams on with the high beams. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

I actually wired a GM 4-headlamp relay kit to my '93 when I installed HIDs and it works flawlessly.

none of my restored halogen housings with hid's are blinding, they are no different coming at you than the stock set up, only difference is from behind the windshield, you can see perfect. i leave the low beam refractors in too so the low beams are not like high beams. out of all the halogen resto's with hid's i have done i have yet to have a single car flash me their brights , i have never been flashed yet.

Back