So, have you ever wondered what's inside the rear neon? (dissasembly)

AnthraxBird

Registered
Well, took my rear neon center section to a neon sign company to test the bulb. They put 2 different wands at the connectors, and the bulb doesn't work. So I go home and I wonder: WHY?! Here's the conclusion:

131623.jpg

131337.jpg

131512.jpg

131542.jpg

I don't get it, what's the conclusion? BTW, once you took it apart, did it seem like a likely candidate for an LED strip possibly?

In the first photo it shows the long neon tube in 3 pieces. The conclusion is: It's F**ked :D I could put in a series of LED lights, but it would be alot of work getting it to work and to make it look right. There is alot of mold on the reflector, so I will most likely get a replacement housing and a glitch ballast.

...I could put in a series of LED lights, but it would be alot of work getting it to work and to make it look right ...

What about installing one of the LED strips commonly used under the tailgate of pickups? They come in various lengths and are ready to wire in. They work as taillight, brake, and turn signals already wired up. I put one on my El Camino and it's super bright (picture doesn't do it justice) and works great.
elkylights.jpg

I most likely could. I did it in my 97 bird's panels, but that was simple. This would be alot harder. Im just going to go OEM and keep it simple! WTB: working rear neon =)

Led strip would work just fine. The only issue is positioning the leds so that they reflect of the reflector in a similar fashion to the neon tube.

What did you use to separate it ? Heat gun ? I see the glue, so it definitely wasn't cut.

If you want a nice neon, I am thinking of reselling the one I got from Steve since I have since found another matching one.

Yup i used a heat gun. But its cracked by the trunk key mechanism so ill probly just have to buy an entire assy. Now i just need to get cash :/. I also need a glitch ballast

Back