No heat, temp went to bar above the middle, no car won't start...next step?

MarkVIIIMarc

Registered
Hello,

I have been delaying a passenger side door handle replacement till warmer weather and have been driving my Aurora mostly. My 98 LSC has been outside in the cold....it has been a week since I drove it and all was well then.

Today, for the heck of it I started the car, let it run a bit while I cleaned the garage. Car was running GREAT. On start up I didn't need to help it high idle or nothing after a week of sitting and some single digit nights.

Came back, noticed the temp gauge at 1/4 and no heat yet. Strange. I pop the hood, the heater hose I can easily get to isn't really warm yet. So killing time I popped the glove box to make sure my grey arm was still pulled the right way (Its partially broke and I just pull it to hot or cold). The arm is still pulled towards heat. Still no heat.

I'm scratching my head, feel some hoses, heater hoses again, are warmer than the cold metal but not as hot as the radiator hoses. I CAREFULLY pop my overflow. It is FULL to the top and pressurized. My anti freeze looks like there is some oil residue in it. Oil looks fine. Anti freeze floats all but one ball in the tester, phew.

By now (1/2 hour?) the temp is to the marker just above half way and I shut her down. Car always reads at half way so much so I have driven about with an OBDII scanner attached just to see if the gauge was good. (had a typo I corrected in here)

I go to pop the cross over, its stuck so I spray on some penetrating oil and tap it a bunch, still stuck, more penetrating oil, maybe when it cools it will open. It hasn't been off in 3 or 4 years since I did an oil filter adapter plate gasket.

So then I decide to restart the car for some reason and get a crank no start.

After that the baby monitor started making noise so now I'm inside watching kids shows planning my next steps....

What would you all do?

Last edited:
Back