Lapping Day

eunospeed

Registered
Guys, I like going to the strip but prefer lapping days instead. I did a search and didn't find much info. I have driven Putnam Park in IN many times in Miata's and plan to take my Mark there this year to try her out. Before I go I plan to upgrade my front brakes to Cobra's, add a larger rear sway bar and change all the fluids as well. Any other advice?

John

The accummulator is a good idea, will I like a shift kit? Or will a tune give me better shift points? I'm open minded.......

You may NEED the shift kit to get better shifts with the tune.....There are others better qualified to answer this.....stand by.....

The J-mod or Baumann shift kit will mechanically/hydraulically optimize the transmission performance while the tune will take advantage of these factors by electronically optimizing the shift points and line pressure during the shift.

Short answer is each will complement the other resulting in the best combination. :)

OK, where do I buy the Baumann SK, 1-2 accumulator, and a good cooler? I'm going to do this over the next few weeks and I want to go ahead and get the parts. The tuner will have to come later.........

Did I read you have a 98? If so, you don't need the 1-2 accumulator.

IIRC I ordered my trans cooler from Summit many many years ago.

OK, glad I didn't order it because I do have a 98. But, what about this from SCP........
Super Coupe Performance Valve Body Separator Plate Shift Kit - '96+ cars only

I don't know about that , but I'm sure you know this - use only Mercon V in your tranny? Or the latest Ford equivalent.

Got it, very good information from Baumann. Here's my thinking:

1- Shift kit and tranny cooler while I'm doing a fluid/filter change
2- Add TCS when I go to 4.10 gears at a later date
3- ?

Got it, very good information from Baumann. Here's my thinking:

1- Shift kit and tranny cooler while I'm doing a fluid/filter change
2- Add TCS when I go to 4.10 gears at a later date
3- ?

3- Aluminum 4" or early model one piece drive shaft if going to 4.10s

3. = Profit

hee hee, sorry bad joke, couldn't resist.

Yeah, you will want a new driveshaft. One of the reasons I chose 3.73's was that I didn't want to HAVE to get a new driveshaft, and was hoping that they wouldn't require it. Turned out I did get a 93 driveshaft (IIRC) and had it installed by the Michigan group with the gears and didn't realize the vibrations that I had with the old driveshaft even with stock gearing.

Back