New HIDs installed.

Mr. Mark VIII

Registered
Hey all, thought I would just do a quick write up on my new hids I got for my 93 lincoln. I got the 55 watt 4300k 9005 slims for Retro Solutions. I thought for sure I would need the wiring harness but decided not to order one and just plug and play and see it would work. This truly was a simple plug and play instillation. No problems once so ever and that surprised the hell out of me. Two things to note. I have underdrive pulleys. When the car is at idle and the huge wattage items come on such as the fan and pump, my volts drop below 12. The hids will not run under the 12 volt mark. I changed the alt pulley and raised idle rpm a few. So far no problems. Another note, sometimes it trips the “check headlights” sometimes it does not…I don’t know… but I plan to clip the wire. I would say they are about three times as bright as the old ones and I can now see very well. In all..a very good buy for the Lincoln.

Sorry you took it that way....It was meant as a joke. Guess you didn't know all the problems with the stock Gen 1 headlights. Everyone says you can run around with the headlights on high beams and no one flashes you! Maybe yours now are 100 times as bright! LOL

ya they just may be 1000 times as bright. Ya I used to run around with the high beams on never really got flashed. Over all it was a good install.

I have underdrive pulleys. When the car is at idle and the huge wattage items come on such as the fan and pump, my volts drop below 12. The hids will not run under the 12 volt mark. I changed the alt pulley and raised idle rpm a few. So far no problems.

A word of caution:

With the overdrive pulley on the alternator, you risk over-revving the alternator should you hit the rev limiter. It only takes a time or two and the alternator will be toasted. :eek:

Yes i'm with ya, I put the stock one back on. I thought about this but came to this conclusion. The crank pulley is a lot smaller than the stock there for the alt is still spinning slower...even with the stock pulley. I thought about figuring the percent difference between the stock pulley and under-drive pulley and than finding a overdrive pulley that was the same percent for the alt. Is my thinking correct here? I might do this. When the fan, pump, defroster and other things are on at the same time, I get some flickering.

Also I got a few pm's where i got these from.

http://www.retro-solutions.com

Todd is a great guy to work with.

How ironic, I just purchased the HID kit and relay from retro-solutions tonight before I signed on.

Glad to hear it is a breeze. I'm looking forward to it.

Doug

When the car is at idle and the huge wattage items come on such as the fan and pump, my volts drop below 12. The hids will not run under the 12 volt mark. I changed the alt pulley and raised idle rpm a few. So far no problems. Another note, sometimes it trips the “check headlights” sometimes it does not…I don’t know… but I plan to clip the wire.

yeah, HID's don't like low voltage, but they also don't use much wattage... :D

Also, BTW, HID don't like to be flashed, so make sure you're brights, don't turn off your HIDs (I forget how that works), but I know the stock 94 harness kills the low beams in lue of the high beams...

keep us posted on how your HIDs work out! :D

:D -J

Nice link Driller, I was looking all over for a smaller alt pulley with absolutely no luck.

Ya I need to do the mod that keeps the lows on all the time. I know these have hot restrke protection but still probably not good.

Meister, let us know how it goes for you.

Back