300+ RWHP Mark VIII

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
Today was dynotune day for the Blue Flame. :D

IMG00144-20100123-1400.jpg

The location was Rodeheavers Hot Rod Shop in PA, about 45 minutes from home. The tuner(s) was Rob and Don Lasota from LaSota Racing out of OH.

IMG00145-20100123-1400.jpg

Rodeheavers had quite a few nice rides at his shop.

IMG00149-20100123-1542.jpg

IMG00150-20100123-1542.jpg

IMG00151-20100123-1542.jpg

IMG00152-20100123-1542.jpg

IMG00153-20100123-1543.jpg

Several pulls were required to make Don satisfied and prior to the heatsoak setting in the car saw numbers like 315ish RWHP with around 330 RWTQ. A couple attempts were made to tweak the shift points while on the dyno and Rob wanted to see if there was any difference with the cutouts open. :D

IMG00146-20100123-1400.jpg

The final pull registered 306 RWHP and 313 RWTQ.

IMG00156-20100123-1735.jpg

The average was 212 HP and 271 LBFT of torque.The crew at the shop was impressed with the shiny Lincoln, it especially got their attention with the cutouts open. :)

IMG00147-20100123-1401.jpg

After a road test, we upped the shift points on 2 of the 4 chip positions and did some more road testing. The new Nitto 255s wouldn't hold from a WOT launch and the resulting wheelspin made it difficult to judge at times but from a roll, I decided I liked the higher shift points. :cool:

Pics and a couple videos can be found here.

Now we anxiously await opening day at the track. :D

Nice! What A/F ratio are you running?

Hmmm... that's odd, it's not on the printout?

I'll have to email Rodeheaver and have him see if he can read it off the file. Whatever it was it was remarked on one pull it was a bit leaner than he would like to see (but fairly typical), so he added a bit more fuel trim.

Just wondering, as after several tunes, I found that the sweet spot for my Cobra was 13.0:1 @ WOT, and it's what I'm also running on my LSC.

WOW! Looks like those Hot Cams and Ported/Polished Heads gave you about a 40 HP Gain!! Congrats! Love the Vids too!!

Congratulations, JP! :)

Some questions for you. Whats up with the Mustang dyno? How do they compare to a Dynojet? Very interesting dyno sheet. Looks like they stopped the pull at around 5300 rpm from what I can see through my bifocals. :) Did they tune spark and a/f beyond 5300, and spin it any faster then that to see if there is any power in the 6/7k rpm range?

I would think there is a lot of hp left on the table there even though the tq was starting to fade. I know heads and cams will help the car breathe easier and the motor will work less for same to better results as stock, but I didn't think they would quit so early on the pull. What are the shift points?

Thanks everyone! :)

What is all done to the car?

I need to update my home page, but look here. I have since added Fox Lake ported heads and custom Bullet cams with some further suspension and brake upgrades.

Is Blue flame the first Mark VIII to crack the 300 RWHP Mark naturally aspirated.

No, I'm pretty sure Lonnie's is over 300 and I've heard of a couple others but don't know much details.

Congratulations, JP! :)

Some questions for you. Whats up with the Mustang dyno? How do they compare to a Dynojet? Very interesting dyno sheet. Looks like they stopped the pull at around 5300 rpm from what I can see through my bifocals. :) Did they tune spark and a/f beyond 5300, and spin it any faster then that to see if there is any power in the 6/7k rpm range?

I would think there is a lot of hp left on the table there even though the tq was starting to fade. I know heads and cams will help the car breathe easier and the motor will work less for same to better results as stock, but I didn't think they would quit so early on the pull. What are the shift points?

Mike, I don't know a lot about the differences between dynos except what I have read. From what I know, there are inertia dynos and load inducing dynos and the Mustang Dyno is different from a DynoJet.

I do know my car doesn't like dynos for whatever reasons. Even at the dynotune, about 1 out of 2 or 3 pulls is botched for one reason or another. It has something to do with the the lockup converter and shifts. It was remarked the converter could be locked through the shifts but it was inadvisable. There were higher rpm pulls and yes it did make more HP beyond the one shown. I let it be known I was not after 'peak' numbers but a better overall power curve.

I was watching the tuner's screen and chatting with Don more than watching the dyno. The Lambda, A/F ratio and MAF readouts were more interesting to watch anyways. The 'transition' was very smooth and from what I remember, lambda was around 1.08, A/F was 13ish and MAF was peaking mid 4s. There were a couple chip 'burns' after that tweaked the midband more than the higher rpms. That is likely why the last pull was 'short'.

I believe the shift points were 6000 and 6200 and we added 100 and 200 rpms for 2 other positions on the chip so now I can go to 6200 and 6400.

Dynos are a 'tool' more than a goal for me. I plan on eventually getting my own tuning package so I can have more to play with. In my mind, so many tuning parameters really are better to work with on the road or track than the dyno anyways.

My question now is the 3800 stall converter I have enough? I will have to compare the dyno curves but I suspect I may need a converter change now with the higher torque. I was suprised by the torque numbers.

I have never seen a Mustang dyno, but like you, from what I have read, they will show a lower number than a Dynojet because they factor in wind resistance, etc., to show a more real world street number.

I don't know that much about the trans and torque converter, but I think Aric has this trans tune that he uses on my car that enables him to lock the trans in any gear for a pull - just like a manual trans, and he can also lock/unlock the torque converter. I guess that must be the same proprietary program that he and JW uses, because he has never told me about a botched pull problem.

I agree with you about the torque numbers. Right up there with the s-trim vortech Mark's :)

Mike (burbank) has had great success with his 4000+? stall torque converter. Although I still can't understand how he can manage a 1.5 60' basically off idle with 410's. My PI 3800 3 disc stall in the car now will never ever be even close to that, even with slicks. :) So I think you might want to talk to him to get the recipe on how to set these cars up to launch :)

Yeah, my track mentor swears I need 4200 stall now.

What a viscous circle. :D

Burbank, if you read this, feel free to pipe in on the converter. ;)

Nice... :D :D :D

The crew at the shop was impressed with the shiny Lincoln

Um, duh... I bet if you has said we've got to choose 1 car to drive across the country... they would have all hands down picked yours... :D

there is something to be said for comfort... :D

:D -J

I had few different aftermarket torque converters in my car. The first one was Art Carr 9.5" converter with about 3200 stall and my average 60' times were 1.8 to high 1.7 but the converter lockup broke after 2 years of racing.My second converter was 9" thunderbolt non lockup with stall about 5000-5500 rpm.This converter was very good for 60' but driveability was very bad and even with my 2 trans coolers the trans temp in the city was going over 200F so this converter was for full drag car(trailer queen) .My third aftermarket converter and current is Dirtydog 9.5 inch billet with stall about 4200-4500rpm.The dirtydog converter was build to have about 4000-4200 stall but on my car it's more like 4200-4500 stall. This converter is the best I ever had and it does very good at the race track and the driveability is good too and the trans temps stay at around 140F-170F. With ported heads and cams like JP has I would go with atleast 4200-4500 stall torque converter.

Thanks for the feedback. The current converter I have was built by DirtyDog and is a 3800 stall. It has good street manners as well. Transmission temps are kept well in check with the 40K cooler.

T man, you caught me off guard. I had to search for the cam specs. :eek:

The cams are custom "Bullet" cams hand picked by Ron @ Fox Lake. A 216/216 duration @ 0.050, lift of 0.425/0.425 with a separation of 113* if I read the card right.

Back