IMRC problem...

...Just curious... Whats the point of restricting airflow with the IMRCs anyway? Wouldn't it be better just to have them open? The look like they cut airflow by half... :confused:

That is an excellent question... and while I don't know the answer, it makes me think of a similar question...

Are they always open when the car is running?
Every time I checked them when the car was running, the cable had them pulled open. The only time the cable was slack was when the car was off...

Thanks!
:D -J

Any thoughts on either of these questions? :D

With the 4 valve design, there is an intake port for each intake valve. This proves quite effective at higher rpms. At low engine rpms, there is inadequate intake air velocity entering the combustion chamber which reduces available power and torque. The IMRCs are simple butterfly valves in the secondary intake tracts. Below a certain rpm they are closed and they open when the rpms is sufficient enough to take advantage of the increased volume of the secondary port. In a perfect world, it would be a linear variable rather than simply open/closed (as in the variable runner lengths and variable cams available in certain vehicles today).

Make sense?

Yes... I'm glad I asked...

So do you really think another bottle of seafoam is going to free the IMRC up?

Thanks!

Either find a way to introduce the Seafoam at 3K and above or pull the intake and clean the plates.

Becareful attempting to move them manually, because if they are frozen, you can bend the shaft.

if you can get the seafoam to enter at or above 3K RPM's then the imrc controller will be "pulling the cables" at the same time, and it might free up.

it's gonna be difficult and dangerous to get the car seafoamed at 3K and above.
I dont think "free reving" it is a good idea.
I would "drive" it while sea foaming, with a passenger introducing the seafoam

BE SAFE...

Either find a way to introduce the Seafoam at 3K and above or pull the intake and clean the plates.

Becareful attempting to move them manually, because if they are frozen, you can bend the shaft.

if you can get the seafoam to enter at or above 3K RPM's then the imrc controller will be "pulling the cables" at the same time, and it might free up.

it's gonna be difficult and dangerous to get the car seafoamed at 3K and above.
I dont think "free reving" it is a good idea.
I would "drive" it while sea foaming, with a passenger introducing the seafoam

BE SAFE...

Ok, so I want to be revving the engine while I do this...

The engine revved by itself, but I doubt it hit 3K...

The cables are pulled open even at idle...
The car is idling right now, and the cables are pulled tight,
the only time they seem to be not pulled tight it when the car is off.
Then they are released...

I'm curious, HTF would you drive the car and seafoam it at the same time? :D

Thank!

Just an update, seafoamed it twice again, so I've used 2 bottles at this point between today and yesterday...

1st time, some smoke, IMRC still frozen...
2nd time, tons of smoke, IMRC still frozen...

:( -J

with a long hose ran into the passenger compartment.

like I said, it has the potential to be a dangerous situation....I'd have a passenger hold the hose in the can, while YOU drove the car and kept the RPM's above 3K.

with a long hose ran into the passenger compartment.

like I said, it has the potential to be a dangerous situation....I'd have a passenger hold the hose in the can, while YOU drove the car and kept the RPM's above 3K.

Ok, this has been a one man operation, but even if there was some other poor unfortunate soul involved... I just don't see me doing that... :D

Guess I'll buy a few more bottles of seafoam and keep going tomorrow...

Is seafoam really that different from say brake cleaner, or paint thinner?

As long as you're getting smoke from the treatments, you are removing gunk that could be seizing the butterflies closed.

I'm confused by your prior statement though when you said the cables were taught with the engine running and loose with the engine off. Does that mean when the cables are loose, the valves should be open? I'll have to see if I can learn more on the Gen2 from the manual.

I would not use any substitute for the SeaFoam.

As long as you're getting smoke from the treatments, you are removing gunk that could be seizing the butterflies closed.

I'm confused by your prior statement though when you said the cables were taught with the engine running and loose with the engine off. Does that mean when the cables are loose, the valves should be open? I'll have to see if I can learn more on the Gen2 from the manual.

I would not use any substitute for the SeaFoam.

DSC00644.JPG

Ok, if you look at Mike's pic... (thank you again Mike)
That is what the IMRCs should look like when the car is off... I think... :D

When my car is off, the pass side is still tilted 90 degrees, so that the wire has slack on the back side of the black hook. I can easily unsnap the black plastic hook off the IMRC.

As soon as the car is running, the cables are tight so that the black plastic hook can't be moved at all, it's tight on the whateveritscalled it hooks on to...

I'm not sure what position is open and which is closed.

It might be best to just unbolt the intake and free them... It should take about an hour.

What is involved in doing that? Cause I feel like that is where this is heading...

2729732230039881733YTTOoV_fs.jpg

That may be the best pic I've ever taken... :D

That is what I'm talking about... car off...

With the car running, the metal wire is pulled tight...

If you do have to remove them to free them up, try pouring some seafoam on them when you have them removed.

I'm curious to see if even that would help.:D

If you do have to remove them to free them up, try pouring some seafoam on them when you have them removed.

I'm curious to see if even that would help.:D

No one has actually told me yet how to take the intake off... :D

I'm sure there is an easier method that the one I'll use if I just go for it... :D

I've never actually taken one off of these engines so I'd probably "just go for it" like you would.

First take off the intake tube, a few hoses, wire connectors, fuel line, and rail, accelerator cables, ect..

There is a proper bolt torquing sequence I could scan from the manual if you need it.

I'm sure there's a nice long procedure in the manual too.

JP? :D

Who, me?

Intake Manifold —Upper, Lower and IMRC
Removal

Remove the water bypass tube (8548); refer to Section 303-03 .
Remove the generator (GEN) (10300); refer to Section 414-02 .
Disconnect the accelerator ad cruise control cables; refer to Section 310-03 .
Disconnect the evaporative emission hose (9G297) from the upper intake manifold.

Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector.

Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose (6853) from the intake manifold.

Disconnect the idler air control valve connector.

Loosen the EGR tube nut from the EGR valve (9D475).

Disconnect the EGR valve vacuum hose.

Remove the fuel injection supply manifold (9F792); refer to Section 303-04 .
Remove the bolts and remove the upper intake manifold.

Remove the bolts and remove the lower intake manifold.

Disconnect the RH and the LH intake manifold runner control (IMRC).

NOTE: The lower intake manifold runner control gaskets are housed within grooves on the bottom surface of the IMRC.

Remove the intake manifold runner control and the upper and lower gaskets.
Discard the lower gaskets and use new lower gasket during installation.

Installation

Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Problem is, that won't help Joe.

He's more of the 'paint by numbers' guy and without pics, he's lost. :p

Problem is, that won't help Joe.

He's more of the 'paint by numbers' guy and without pics, he's lost. :p

OMG you ain't kidding... after reading that, I think it would be easier to just light the car on fire... :D

So... now I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for seafoam to do it's thing...
I haven't had a chance to go for seafoam round 5 and more,
its suppose to be freezing this weekend, but I'm gonna seafoam that poor car until there is no more smoke, the IMRC frees up, or it eats through the engine...

Whichever comes first... :p

Back