intermittent blower motor

beerdog

Registered
For those of you with the all too common intermittent blower motor issue this picture shows why. My guess is many of you may have the same condition. If you have it it is probably best to pull the cabel instead of tapping on the cable or motor as I originally did a few times. Jeremi was going to sell me a cable but upon closer look his extras also had signs of arc burns. The part is only $25 from Ford. Part number F3LY-18C629-A. Only takes a couple
minutes to change.

Attachments

• heatercable.jpg
    heatercable.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Boy, does THAT look familiar!!! Looks just like the old '87 T-Bird plug I had......Ford hasn't figured it out YET!

I think it has more to do with how they loop the wire. It really puts alott of stress on the connection.

Mine did not melt like yours, Mike. I was able to take mine apart and fix the loose pin connections on both wires and plug it back in and it works great now. I agree there is too much stress pulling on those wires.

need to know about plug location

need to know about plug location

Hello guys, new to the forum.
I have the intermittent blower motor issue too.
Is the plug at the back of the AC/Heat control module or at the blower?
You said it was a easy simple fix, I will get the new part, but what is the process to replace it? under the dash for the blower motor or behind the control module?
not to sure to ask but do any of you know if the steering wheels from first gen will work and can be swaped to a second gen?
thanks for any help.

Hello guys, new to the forum.
steering wheels from first gen will work and can be swaped to a second gen?
thanks for any help..

nope.. different hub.. wont work.
Could be modified TO work, but it's not a direct swap.

As for the replacing the wire.
your gonna have to actually open the glove box, lower the door and take a peek.
your probably gonna be suprised at how easy it is.
Takes less time to replace, than it does to "ask the question"

Blower/Steering wheel

Blower/Steering wheel

Thank you XLRVIII, I will look for the plug behind the glove box. I have a 98 LSC and a 94, I purchased a NOS steering wheel off Ebay last year for the 98, but I installed it in to the 94 just temp, now I want to swap it into the 98 where it was actually ment to go. It fit on the 94 no problem. Question is does a 97-98 steering wheel fit a 93-96, but a 93-96 steering wheel will not fit the 97-98? Problem is I do not know what year the steering wheel is actually for? I was lead to believe it was for a 97-98, but now I am not sure I can put it into the 98 if it is actually a 93-96 wheel? I guess I can just remove the airbag and see if they are different?

Wow, I didn't realize this was a common problem, I have an intermittent blower but it seems to act up only in very cold weather, I thought it was a loose wire and was going to get to it when it warmed up a bit outside.

It is easier to replace by removing the plastic shield under the glove. At leats on the Gen2. Never did it on a gen1.

Mike, it tried pulling it apart but just could not get. Then again I did not try to hard either. I jammed a screw driver in their and bent the contact inward to get a tighter fit untill the new part came in.

beerdog is right, they are in slightly different locations first gen to second gen
The first gens are very much accessible from the glove box door opening once the door is lowered out of the way
The second gens are a little more difficult to reach but in a similar location.

Thank you XLRVIII, I will look for the plug behind the glove box. I have a 98 LSC and a 94, I purchased a NOS steering wheel off Ebay last year for the 98, but I installed it in to the 94 just temp, now I want to swap it into the 98 where it was actually ment to go. It fit on the 94 no problem. Question is does a 97-98 steering wheel fit a 93-96, but a 93-96 steering wheel will not fit the 97-98? Problem is I do not know what year the steering wheel is actually for? I was lead to believe it was for a 97-98, but now I am not sure I can put it into the 98 if it is actually a 93-96 wheel? I guess I can just remove the airbag and see if they are different?

that is strange, my first car was a first gen, my current car is a second gen
I "thought" the first gens used a flat sided round bar..and the second gens used a splined shaft...
damn I'm getting old.. sorry if I led you astray

Back