Rear window gasket bubbling

hank

Registered
Anyone found an acceptable way to deal with the rear window gasket bubbles that appear on the body side of the gasket? Any explanations as to why/how this happens?
Thanks, Hank

Time and heat...only way to get a new one is to accidentally crack the back window and have insurance company buy you a new one.

Time and heat...only way to get a new one is to accidentally crack the back window and have insurance company buy you a new one.

Bud!...shame on you...but you're mostly right.

Some folks have covered/replaced the strip with various items from Home Depot, but I have yet to hear of one that is both cheap/easy and looks decent.

As for this stubbornly honest man, I will probably end up experimenting with several Home Depot things before I screw it up so bad that I have to shell out the large amount of money for a new glass...and possibly a new paint job.

be careful before you smash the window lol, because if your mark is only worth 800 bucks and you smash the window then make a claim, they'll total the car. i have bought mark VIII's that were totalled because the back window was smashed. i have 2 mint used ones!!!!!!!! cheap money.

be careful before you smash the window lol, because if your mark is only worth 800 bucks and you smash the window then make a claim, they'll total the car. i have bought mark VIII's that were totalled because the back window was smashed. i have 2 mint used ones!!!!!!!! cheap money.

That's right...put about $5k into it with non-depreciable items, like sway bars, gearing, traction-lok, new wheels, supercharger (if you immediately afford it), etc., then when the underwriter comes, he will not likely hand over $5k just for the broken window.

Note: different insurance companies do it differently, so check first. My insurance company will automatically cover all of the above mentioned items at the non-depreciated face value as long as I've got the receipts...some don't do this. When I totalled my 93, they covered the car, plus Nology wires, two sway bars, Eaton posi, and some other items at full value. I pay a little more for my insurance, but it will come in handy especially when I get the turbo installed.

Jamie! Drop one in the mail for me:big-grin: That's the last thing on mine left to fix.

Mad1stGEN gave me this tip when I picked up my car, Tuck the edge under itself on a warm day when it is pliable, then untuck it a few days later, it will look much better than the Lasagna it was. You could probably warm it up with a hair dryer and tuck it under if you wanted to do this on a not so warm day.

Hmmm......what about trimming off the flap on the sides nice and neat...like with a straight edge and a sharp blade, then silicone a nice bead along the body seam. Any one tried this ? Hank

I've seen that before and I don't think it looks good.

One side on my '96 has been 'tucked' and you have to know what to look for to 'notice'. ;)

i'm glad i'll never have this problem lol, thats what my stash of rear windows is for, but my 95 has a mint gasket and its a 95, 121k miles and never been changed!

windshield gasket

windshield gasket

wonder whats the cause. i bought a car 2 yrs ago that had 6100 miles on it and had never been left outside or driven in rain or snow. the gaskets on both rear and front are warped. wonder if you could heat it with heat gun then glue it back?

ahhh... the old classic issue. Seems like practically every car gets, although some are lucky and it does not happen. Some cars get it real bad. There are probably a hundred threads on this topic. People have tried everything and nothing seems to work 100% of the time. Someone has probably tried it. Try a search to see what threads come up.

I think the only real solution is a brand new rear window which is typically 800-1000 dollars.

ahhh... the old classic issue. Seems like practically every car gets, although some are lucky and it does not happen. Some cars get it real bad. There are probably a hundred threads on this topic. People have tried everything and nothing seems to work 100% of the time. Someone has probably tried it. Try a search to see what threads come up.

I think the only real solution is a brand new rear window which is typically 800-1000 dollars.
Are you saying that you cannot take it to a glass house, have them remove the rear window and then reinstall with a new gasket??

nope. The gasket and window are one unit. They do not get replaced seperatly. That is one reason soo many people don't fix it. I think the typical replacement is like $800.

You can buy epoxy in syringes now. That might work if you work slowly. Get a fast drying epoxy, squirt some in, and hold it down. Put down some masking tape to protect against squeeze out.

Back