Any Columbus Ohio members?.......need some help in Columbus

beerdog

Registered
Are their any Columbus Ohio member on here who work at a shop or own one? Maybe a lucky soul has a lift in their garage.

The kid drove down to Columbus from Chicago. On the way there his Mustang GT made a loud bang about 2 hours out and now sounds like it has an exhaust leak. Plus the engine light is flashing. He said it runs fine and drove the rest of the ways after stopping off for a half hour to check it over. He suspects a header bolt or something related broke. He thinks the light is then flashing since the O2 sensors are not seeing the right O2 levels. I am hoping someone in the area can put it on a lift and take a quick look.

We put a new exhaust on including headers 2 years ago. It has no cats.

Problem fixed. Apparently it was an exploded coil pack, and he had an extra in his glove compartment.

And I thought I carried an odd assortment of 'spare parts' in the car. LOL :D

Glad to hear it was taken care of. :)

Have you ever heard of a coil exploding? It was loud enough to hear while driving the car at highway speeds. He said it was completely shattered.

Oh come on, this is the kid that carries electrical tape in his jacket and has since he was 16. He probably found one in our garage and took it, hee hee.

He said it exploded so completely that there was nothing at the end of the cable.

He also said he did not notice a misfire or power loss. Would the ECU have cut off the fuel since there wa sno spark at all? Just curious.

nope the PCM would still be dumping fuel...regardless of the coil being present or not.

the only time I'd heard/seen a damaged coil pack was when the car had "launched a spark plug".

When I first read this post, I thought to myself.. uh-oh kid launched a plug..
Then the sploded coil made me think again, he's got a plug coming out..

but it sounds like.. he didn't launch a plug.. which is a good thing.

nope the PCM would still be dumping fuel...regardless of the coil being present or not.

the only time I'd heard/seen a damaged coil pack was when the car had "launched a spark plug".

We have a winner, he launched a plug.

Got a few more details yesterday, the Kid said he'd post more including pics, but don't hold your breath. He went to a nearby Autozone and they let him borrow the tools he needed to fix the car. Not sure why the plug did that or any more details right now, but apparently it's fixed?

Wow. Tommy know his stuff.

very rarely are you going to see a launched plug that does not require a timesert.
The old plug may have popped out and a new one installed, but if he was able to fix it with Autozone tools, I suspect it's a temporary fix.

I don't have all the details yet.

Craig, what should he look for?

a subsequent coil explosion or launched plug from the same hole.
If it does it again, he's probably got more happening that just an 'sploding coil pack.

If it doesnt do anything stupid again, chances are he's OK

very rarely are you going to see a launched plug that does not require a timesert.

Only once have I seen a launched plug screw back in, and it wasn't but about 200 miles later than it launched again, completely killing the threads, So I could have to agree with Craig here.

Had the kid read the thread here, and he won't post, but this is what he asked me to post for him:

"I first saw that the coil was broken a bit after we got there, with the engine being dirty and me not having much cleaning supplies or tools I did not check more at that time. Saturday night when I was packing up I decided to repair it when I noticed small dents in the plug well from the plug bouncing around. I pulled the plug (motorcraft - full threads) out and noticed the electrodes were smashed and the very front 1 or 2 threads were damaged, I assume due to being pushed/pulled for the rest of the drive in. The new plug (autolite - half threads) held in for the trip back but I will replace it and check more soon."

He says he has a couple of pics, I'll see if I can find links to them.

Yep....the plug launched. It must have simply loosened up over time because he was able to reinstall a new one. He said he did not notice any less thread, drag, or galling when he installed the replacement.

there are only about 4 threads..so if he hurt any, it either wouldn't have went in or wouldn't have stayed in for long.

Back