IMRC problem...

I've never actually taken one off of these engines so I'd probably "just go for it" like you would.

First take off the intake tube, a few hoses, wire connectors, fuel line, and rail, accelerator cables, ect..

There is a proper bolt torquing sequence I could scan from the manual if you need it.

I'm sure there's a nice long procedure in the manual too.

JP? :D

I actually do own a torque wrench... surprise, surprise, :D

So, I'm wondering, can I take the intake off without removing all of the above stuff that I don't know what it is, or what it looks like?

Now let me just qualify that question by asking a second, do I need to take the intake completely off the car? Can I just free it up so I can lift it off some and free the IMRC up that way?

I would also like to say that I know that sounds ridiculous, but in the pic Mike posted, it kinda looks like his intake is loose, but with most of the stuff still attached to it...

once again, thanks for all the help!!!

:D -J

Now that I've studied the picture, it looks like your problem is that the bracket connecting the diaphram and the runners is rusted to the part next to it. Maybe freeing that up (PB Blaster?, Naval Jelly?) would solve the issue before you pull the intake off.

but in the pic Mike posted, it kinda looks like his intake is loose, but with most of the stuff still attached to it...

if you paid attention to the details, which you REALLY should be.
that is a different intake than you have, he's just using the pic to show you the parts in question which are the same

That's a cobra intake your looking at, a much different animal than your mark 8 intake.

I actually do own a torque wrench... surprise, surprise, :D

So, I'm wondering, can I take the intake off without removing all of the above stuff that I don't know what it is, or what it looks like?

Now let me just qualify that question by asking a second, do I need to take the intake completely off the car? Can I just free it up so I can lift it off some and free the IMRC up that way?

I would also like to say that I know that sounds ridiculous, but in the pic Mike posted, it kinda looks like his intake is loose, but with most of the stuff still attached to it...

once again, thanks for all the help!!!

The directions are correct.. and since the IMRC are what your intake "bolts to".. YES you have to completely remove the intake to clean/free them up.

I own a laser beam, does that make me a laser technician... NOPE

Before you pull the intake you might want to try some AMS oil power foam. Same result as seafoam but its in a aerosol can and it actually comes out as expansing foam, like soap suds. I would imagine it might get into a lot more places than regular old seafoam. GM upper intake cleaner might be similar too but I haven't used that before.

OMG you ain't kidding... after reading that, I think it would be easier to just light the car on fire... :D

So... now I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for seafoam to do it's thing...
I haven't had a chance to go for seafoam round 5 and more,
its suppose to be freezing this weekend, but I'm gonna seafoam that poor car until there is no more smoke, the IMRC frees up, or it eats through the engine...

Whichever comes first... :p

OMG - I rolled with laughter reading that! LOL :D

Before you pull the intake you might want to try some AMS oil power foam. Same result as seafoam but its in a aerosol can and it actually comes out as expansing foam, like soap suds. I would imagine it might get into a lot more places than regular old seafoam. GM upper intake cleaner might be similar too but I haven't used that before.

Seafoam actually makes a foaming aerosol as well. I've never used it, and have never read its directions, but I suppose if you could get it in the intake plenum it too would stand a chance of working?

THAT sounds like a great product

seafoam follows the "air path" which may or may not be where the deposits are that are sticking the shaft.

also as mention that linkage in the pic does look quite corroded..and might be a contributing factor

Now that I've studied the picture, it looks like your problem is that the bracket connecting the diaphram and the runners is rusted to the part next to it. Maybe freeing that up (PB Blaster?, Naval Jelly?) would solve the issue before you pull the intake off.

I know it looks bad but that part isn't frozen, I can move that around with out any problem, I'm clearly torquing the shaft that it's connected to, which doesn't seem to want to move, and since I don't want to risk bending it, I haven't been really cranking down on it.

if you paid attention to the details, which you REALLY should be.
that is a different intake than you have, he's just using the pic to show you the parts in question which are the same

That's a cobra intake your looking at, a much different animal than your mark 8 intake.

The directions are correct.. and since the IMRC are what your intake "bolts to".. YES you have to completely remove the intake to clean/free them up.

I own a laser beam, does that make me a laser technician... NOPE

Ok, I think I've been paying as much attention as anyone can expect from me... :D I know Mike has a different intake, his is smooth on top and mine has a bunch of tube looking things, although not as 'extreme tube' looking as a gen 1 intake... huh, how's that for paying attention... I know you're pretty impressed right now... probably not as impressed as you were to learn that I own a torque wrench, but my vast knowledge of what the tops of intakes looks like is still second to none... :D

Anyway, I stand by my question as being perfectly valid... I don't know what the bottom of the intake looks like. In Mikes pic, the fuel lines look to be about the same, and they seem like they are still connected to something... maybe they're not, but it looks to my lay eye that his intake is off with stuff still attached to it.

I'm gonna have to look for some expanding foaming stuff...

Again, thanks for all the help!

That shaft runs thru the entire IMRC plate and can be "barely" seen on the front side on the intake right behind the coolant crossover tube.
you should be able to see a small round "button" which is the "end of the shaft"
Spray that end with some PB blaster or WD 40, it might help free up the other end.

If that doesnt work.. I'd just toss in the towel and pull the intake, it's really not hard.
You just have to be very careful reinstalling it, make sure you follow the torque sequence to the letter!..otherwise you rish cracking/breaking the intake..which will suck.

With that said.. the plate stuck open isn't as bad as it being stuck closed....
if it was stuck closed your car would be a pig on the top end.
This way, you have one head/side of the motor working correct for low end..
Both sides work for top end..
Your probably only missing a LITTLE bottom end torque, like I said.. it could be worse and it could be both sides stuck open..which would make your car a turd around town
or both sides could be stuck closed which would mean your car had no nuts on the big end.

meh... no big deal, it should "drive" ok like it sits until you get the cash, experience and all the required parts

I'm gonna have to look for some expanding foaming stuff...

Again, thanks for all the help!

that stuff just might do the trick.. I'd get two cans of it..
do it once...and repeat before driving the car.

ALSO.. when you were doing the seafoam..had you driven the car before you did the treatment.

I've found that putting in a hot/warm motor doesnt work as good as if it were "stone cold".
when you do it on a hot motor the seafoam tries to evaporate rather than soaking into the carbon deposits.

the first two times I did my car it didn't smoke hardly at all.
The third time I did it on a stone cold motor it smoked BIG TIME, thus leading me to do future treatments on cold motors and they all smoke big time, the first time.

My car, a subsequent treatment about a year later on a cold motor produced TONS of smoke.

Ok, the car has eaten another 3 bottles of seafoam, I've got one left, I have a question about the smoke...

I assume the white smoke is the seafoam burning off, and it's the blue smoke that I want to stop?

Anyway, so far between today and the last time I did this, I've put 5 bottles total down the intake. Once I fire it up and blow it out that will be all for bottle #3 today, and onto bottle #4...

Anyway, thanks again... I'll keep you posted...

If you are putting it into the INTAKE, it'll never reach where you want it to go......

Where should I be putting it?
Air doesn't pretty much go everywhere?

I've been putting it where the IAC sits.

Thanks!

Ok, just blew it out again, still white smoke, not too much blue...
But it seemed like less this time...

The seafoam is clearly eating some gunk somewhere?

Thanks!

Is it being sucked in - or are you pouring it in?

Oh there is 'plenty' of vacuum...

when I was finishing can #2 today it slipped out of my hand and fell into the funnel and was immediately crushed like a soda can from the vacuum...

Anyway, I have given up on the seafoam saving me...
I think if it was going to work, 5 entire cans of the stuff would have probably done it... :D

Thank you everyone for your help! :D :D :D

Joe, You might want to check and change your oil asap. I would not be surprised if you check your oil and it is way over the full mark. 5 cans of seafoam is a lot, and I suspect all of it did not evaporate and go out the tail pipe.

Anyway, I have given up on the seafoam saving me...
I think if it was going to work, 5 entire cans of the stuff would have probably done it... :D

I tend to agree, but I don't think you were applying it where you should've. I think it's a rare case of terminally stuck IMRCs. They probably suffered the same atrophy as my wiper motor. :eek:

Joe, You might want to check and change your oil asap. I would not be surprised if you check your oil and it is way over the full mark. 5 cans of seafoam is a lot, and I suspect all of it did not evaporate and go out the tail pipe.

I was checking it in between each seafoaming cycle, because the blue smoke was making me nervous that perhaps I was burning oil, but the oil was a hair under the top of the full mark and clean. Even though the car has been sitting, it's gotten regular oil changes...

I tend to agree, but I don't think you were applying it where you should've. I think it's a rare case of terminally stuck IMRCs. They probably suffered the same atrophy as my wiper motor. :eek:

Compared to what you went though to fix the wiper motor I should just shut up and pull the intake off :D

Please see my new thread :D

Back