Chapter 2 - The Intake

BadSax

enjoys 3 martini lunches
So... here we all are, much as I'm sure everyone predicted... :D

I'm thinking about pulling the intake off, and before I get into the nuts and bolts of it... that's right, I'm the funny one... here is my main concern...

The car as far as I know has never had the intake removed, the car has spent a lot of time sitting and not getting a lot of use. I'm afraid of stripping a bolt, or snapping a bolt and then being basically screwed... I told you I was the funny one...

Now, if I just drop the car off at my mechanic, is there any less of a chance that the same thing might happen to him? Will he have some magical touch (or spray lubricant) that will make all of the bolts just practically remove themselves?

here are my other problems...

Intake Manifold —Upper, Lower and IMRC
Removal

Remove the water bypass tube (8548); refer to Section 303-03 .
Remove the generator (GEN) (10300); refer to Section 414-02 .
Disconnect the accelerator ad cruise control cables; refer to Section 310-03 .
Disconnect the evaporative emission hose (9G297) from the upper intake manifold.

Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector.

Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose (6853) from the intake manifold.

Disconnect the idler air control valve connector.

Loosen the EGR tube nut from the EGR valve (9D475).

Disconnect the EGR valve vacuum hose.

Remove the fuel injection supply manifold (9F792); refer to Section 303-04 .
Remove the bolts and remove the upper intake manifold.

Remove the bolts and remove the lower intake manifold.

Disconnect the RH and the LH intake manifold runner control (IMRC).

NOTE: The lower intake manifold runner control gaskets are housed within grooves on the bottom surface of the IMRC.

Remove the intake manifold runner control and the upper and lower gaskets.
Discard the lower gaskets and use new lower gasket during installation.

Installation

Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Besides the obvious fact that I don't actually know what most of the stuff on that list is... I think I get the whole 'remove anything connected to the intake' vibe...

So let's break this down... yeah I went there...

Remove the water bypass tube (8548); refer to Section 303-03.
is the water bypass tube what I think it is... the tube that goes in front of the alternator? and if so, won't it, I dunno... be full of water?

Remove the generator (GEN) (10300); refer to Section 414-02 .
Disconnect the accelerator ad cruise control cables; refer to Section 310-03 .
Disconnect the evaporative emission hose (9G297) from the upper intake manifold.

Disconnect the throttle position sensor connector.

Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose (6853) from the intake manifold.

Disconnect the idler air control valve connector.

Ok, again, not sure what all that stuff is, but it sounds like you just remove anything attached to the intake, so that should be fine...

Loosen the EGR tube nut from the EGR valve (9D475).

Disconnect the EGR valve vacuum hose.

Is this something special, or will I probably have already done it while removing the stuff above?

Remove the fuel injection supply manifold (9F792); refer to Section 303-04.

I'm not gonna lie, second only to breaking bolts, I think this is the part that freaks me out... I've been looking at the fuel rails and do they just pop off the injectors?

Remove the bolts and remove the upper intake manifold.

Remove the bolts and remove the lower intake manifold.

Is there a sequence to taking the bolts off?

Discard the lower gaskets and use new lower gasket during installation.

Do I really need a new lower gasket? I'm not trying to be cheap, I just need to know if I should go right now and get one before I possibly start doing this...

So... are there any other tips that might help me out with this?

What are your thoughts here?

Thanks!

:D -J

Last edited:
This might help Joe. I don't want to see that Cadillac at Carlisle this year.:D

Intake1 (Medium).jpeg

Intake2 (Medium).jpeg

Intake3 (Medium).jpeg

Intake4 (Medium).jpeg

Intake5 (Medium).jpeg

Intake6 (Medium).jpeg

Intake7 (Medium).jpeg

Bill, you are the best!!!

That helps a lot, at least now I can identify most of the players in this poorly acted farce... :D

Plus, torque specs for reinstalling everything... :D

Is the "fuel injection supply manifold" not what I think it is? (fuel rails)
Or is it just the single things that doesn't get a picture...
along with the water bypass... :D

Thanks!

So if those lower gaskets can't be reused, then I guess I'm on hold for a week, cause they won't arrive till the middle of the week...

Buy me a ticket, I'll fly down for the weekend and we'll make a m8 party out of it.

Hell, I'll pay for 1 way of it. ;)

Buy me a ticket, I'll fly down for the weekend and we'll make a m8 party out of it.

Hell, I'll pay for 1 way of it. ;)

You could fly down bring cash and a plate and drive home... :p

Honestly if this was a car I wanted to keep, I would probably take you up on that offer. I just want to fix the only problem the car seems to have right now, once this is done, the car will be inspectable and ready for sale.

So, the lower gaskets really need to be replaced, or can they be reused?

Water tube? full of water? any hints on that one?

WTF is the fuel injection supply manifold? is that the fuel rails, and if so, how do you free up those suckers?

Thanks!

All the gaskets are reusable on those plastic IMRCs, unless of course they get damaged.

Cut a 1 gal coolant bottle in half, place it above the water pump pulley, undo the hose clamp on the passenger's side, slide the hose off and drain it into that strategically placed bottle. Relief the fuel pressure, remove the coolant crossover, remove the rail (supply manifold) and place it off to the side on some towel. Undo the EGR valve, or tube, remove the upper intake bolts, remove the upper intake, then all lower intake bolts, pull it off. It's easy if you make sure all the stuff is disconnected prior to yanking on parts ;)

Ok, I guess I better put some pants on for this... :D

Time to plug a heater in the garage... :D

Ok, Alt is out, coolant has been drained, does that black metal crossover bypass whatever pipe come off?

It's all disconnected, and I gave it a few taps, but I don't want to break anything. Does it just snug into the heads? should it just pull up and off?

Thanks!

Problem #2...

Everything EGR related seems to be frozen solid...

The EGR nut moved a little and the it seemed like it was moving/bending the tube so I stopped that.

I tried taking the EGR valve off the intake, but the first bolt I started with, the head moved and the bottom didn't, so I stopped there also...

Any thoughts? I soaked everything with some penetrating oil. I also have a torch, I dunno if heat might help free things up...

Thanks!

Edit: other then those 2 things, the upper intake is free... :D

The upper intake is off! :D

I looked into the intake, there is some liquid in there (probably seafoam) and leaves and crap like that... which I guess isn't surprising because when I pulled the intake tube and air box off just to give me some extra space, there was dollar bill, leaves, sand, acorns, and 32 cents in change, and some plastic part that I can't identify, but it looks important...

so apparently my car just vacuums up whatever is in front if it...

Any thoughts about this coolant tube?

Thanks!

Ok, coolant tube PITA thing is off...

Thank you JP for fielding my phone call... :D

Crossover is a pita on rusted or corroded engines. I hope you got it off. you can always drill and tap the EGR valve bolts which is cheaper that replacing the EGR tube.

I hope he's taking pics! :)

Are you done yet?! :fart

I would if I had my camera here...

I think I am about done for today...
3hrs... got everything off and apart! :D :D :D

Everything in the intake looks disgusting, I can't imagine what they looked like before all that seafoam... I wonder if they're dishwasher safe... :D

Anyway, I want to clean everything up before it's put back together, so chances are it won't be done tonight. Plus since I have the coolant tube off, might as well sand it and paint it black again...

The pass side IMRC is frozen half open... I soaked it in some oil we'll see if that frees it up or if I have to take more drastic measures. It seems to be frozen up by the front butterfly, you can wiggle the furthest back one, and as you move forward they get progressively harder to move.

Thanks again to everyone who has put in their 2 cents! :D

I'm sure there may be more questions as I try to put everything back...

What are you using for penetrating oil? If it isn't PB Blaster, so get some. I hear Coca Cola works good too, but I've never tried it.

They sure are!

I used a hot water parts washer at work and they come out amazingly clean! :)

I was looking for " I used our dishawasher multiple times for washing parts, but don't tell Mrs Driller" :eek: :D :D

Sounds like you got a handle on it Joe. Definitely paint that crossover tube, or better yet, have it powdercoated.

Back