Chapter 2 - The Intake

I was looking for " I used our dishawasher multiple times for washing parts, but don't tell Mrs Driller" :eek: :D :D

Sounds like you got a handle on it Joe. Definitely paint that crossover tube, or better yet, have it powdercoated.

Yeah, she would have my hide if she found parts in the kitchen, let alone the dishwasher. LOL :D

Speaking of powdercoated crossover tubes... hmmm, yummy. :)

I wonder if I should go with polished like my intake or blue like my cam covers? :rolleyes:

Good job Joe, now I know where to get the tips for removing a mucked up intake.

Did the EGR just come off ok after the penetrating oil?

The upper intake is off! :D

I looked into the intake, there is some liquid in there (probably seafoam) and leaves and crap like that... which I guess isn't surprising because when I pulled the intake tube and air box off just to give me some extra space, there was dollar bill, leaves, sand, acorns, and 32 cents in change, and some plastic part that I can't identify, but it looks important...

so apparently my car just vacuums up whatever is in front if it...

Any thoughts about this coolant tube?

Thanks!

:D -J

WHAT!

Leaves! Acorns! Coins!

No way...I would need to see it to believe it. Surely you are joking.

Someone here needs to explain how that stuff can get in there...

WHAT!

Leaves! Acorns! Coins!

Mice, squirrells.:)

I've seen acorns and leaves where they shouldn't be, my critters are too poor for the coins though.:D

So I recovered my camera and snapped a few pics tonight just to give everyone an idea of what this all looks like... :D

2820608310039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

So this first picture has nothing to do with my car, but since you were all so kind as to help me, I thought the least I could do was offer a little advice in return... :D If you happen to buy a AeroGarden, or receive one as a gift from someone who things you'd be good at indoor gardening?, or secretly hates you... follow the directions and at whatever number of weeks, take the plants out and pot them... otherwise you wind up with an AeroJungle, and the plants keep burning themselves on the grow lights, so you have to either constantly cut them, or constantly eat them... :D

2013908600039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frozen IMRC bottom side.

2562790380039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Same IMCR, different angle.

2743676750039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frozen IMRC top side.

2604067000039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frozen IMRC where the thingy hooks up...

2399963730039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Frozen IMRC, close up of the gunk.

2373112470039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Same gunk on the not frozen IMRC.

2978124600039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

The non frozen IMRC.

2536301880039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

That is where I found the dollar, and the quarter and nickel and two pennys and the acorns and sand and leaves and mystery plastic thing which you can see at the top of the picture.

2859242420039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Even if I hadn't been the one to remove the intake, I would at least know what's missing... :D

2380283850039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Deep intake...

2427472340039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

Tell me that's not sexy... :D

2897688890039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

it's ok if everything is just black right?

2388994330039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

OMG its a valve... this is so exciting... :D

2001531220039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

It maybe hard to see, but there is a big backwards number 49 on my transmission...?

2356667020039881733S600x600Q85.jpg

I like to call this one... "Dirty Coolant Tube and Dirty Dishes" :D

If you want to see these pics in full size you can check out the album here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/570110892ProFEL

BTW these are all taken without any cleaning of anything, so what you see is how it came apart...

What are you using for penetrating oil? If it isn't PB Blaster, so get some. I hear Coca Cola works good too, but I've never tried it.

Yes PB Blaster... almost an entire can of it today...

They sure are!

I used a hot water parts washer at work and they come out amazingly clean! :)

I was planning to scrub everything in the sink, so good... :D

Sounds like you got a handle on it Joe. Definitely paint that crossover tube, or better yet, have it powdercoated.

Well, thank you... I at least got it apart. I literally was sitting on the engine to get that coolant tube off... I don't think there is gonna be time for powder coating...

Good job Joe, now I know where to get the tips for removing a mucked up intake.

Did the EGR just come off ok after the penetrating oil?

Yes, Dr BadSax, PhD in Mechanical Mayhem, MEd MusEd... :D

The ERG tube did free up and come off, as far as I know, the actual EGR is still welded to the throttle body, but for now that is fine.

WHAT!

Leaves! Acorns! Coins!

Sorry if I wasn't totally clear, there were only parts of leaves in the "intake", the rest of that crap I found in the bottom of the airbox when I was taking the intake tube etc off...

Sorry Bill, I guess the economy hasn't hit our Cape Cod wild life yet... :D

Well at least you can get it all cleaned up now. It will take lots of manual work and some type of penetrating fluid to get in the hinges of the IMRC shaft. A good carb cleaner and mini wire brushes should help with the process.

Be careful of the gasket surfaces and go out to the garage NOW and put some tape over the intake ports! Take the tape off and clean the gasket surface on the heads after you have everything ready to go back on.

Well at least you can get it all cleaned up now. It will take lots of manual work and some type of penetrating fluid to get in the hinges of the IMRC shaft. A good carb cleaner and mini wire brushes should help with the process.

Be careful of the gasket surfaces and go out to the garage NOW and put some tape over the intake ports! Take the tape off and clean the gasket surface on the heads after you have everything ready to go back on.

I was able to free up the IMRC tonight. After multi soaks with that PB stuff, and letting sit for hours I was able to get it to free up. So it's now as free as the one that was never stuck, and they both still look disgusting.

I was going to vacuum the engine tomorrow while I try to clean it up.
Is there a brand or type of cleaning spray you would recommend?
Can I just spray stuff right down to where the valves are? or is that a bad idea? Some of the valves are pretty gross.

I was thinking of dumping that extra bottle of seafoam into a spray bottle, would that be good to shoot around at stuff and things... maybe people... :D

The SeaFoam will help in the clean up, but a good carb cleaner may be better. I used some Gunk brand cleaner and had to go back and get more. You can find toothbrush sized wire brushes that will help tremendously.

Just remember the gasket surfaces - they are soft and easily gouged. Don't use a wire brush on the gasket surfaces. A plastic scraper is best on the gasket surfaces.

You can clean somewhat in the intake ports towards the valves, just be sure you dont leave any loose stuff behind.

Way to go, Joe! :wave022: Try some Grey Goose when cleaning those parts. Makes the job a lot more tolerable. :wink: :cool:

Be careful of the gasket surfaces and go out to the garage NOW and put some tape over the intake ports!

..If there's leaves acorns and small animals in the intake I doubt it matter haha :p

Cool you got it done, your car should perform better too without all of the garbage in your intake tube or gunk on the walls lol ;)

the mystery plastic part is the broken ear/tab from the air box.
notice you only have 3 bolt holes?
That is probably why/where the debris is entering from

need to replace that broken end of the air box

but.. JOB WELL DONE, diving into this issue.

You can see the seafoam WAS working, but the IMRC's simply had too much crap burnt into/onto them.

Quick question...

I think I know that the answer is "bad idea, don't do that"...

but I'm gonna ask anyway... is it a bad idea to give the ignition a little tic so that the valves are reoriented differently even though the intake is off?

Thanks!

Edit, BTW more pics will be up tonight, so far the cleaning is going well... :D

I am most likely going to get flamed for posting this, but it's possible.

ONLY AT your own RISK !

FIRST you have to shut off the fuel safety switch in the trunk. You could also disconnect FPDM that is on the passenger's side trunk.

SECOND Vacuum everything out of the intake ports.

THIRD move and clamp or zip tie everything out of the way including the belt if you left it in place.

Then and only then CRANK AWAY.

Alternatively, if there is any way to get a wrench on the crank bolt, you could turn the engine over by hand and avoid any possible headache ;)

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be easier/wiser to just turn the crank with a socket and breaker bar?

I would still vacuum the intake ports.

Back