TILT BROKE?

kc2015

Registered
The up and down on my '97 tilt steering wheel just stopped working. the in and out works. I just bought the car 1 week agog. Any suggestions?

RE: TILT BROKE?

did you try pressing the switch and pushing the wheel in the direction you want it to go? It might be a dead spot in there or something.

It could also be the multifunction switch. i believe that costs about $200 to replace.

Be careful when tugging on the wheel. I did that with my first Mark and the wheel pulled out of the dash board because there was no cord installed to keep it from traveling so far. I believe there was a recall or something about installing the cord. I also remember a way to reset the motors back to the original setting and that sometimes cures the problem but I don't remmber the exact procedure.

David O'Donnell
'97 Mark VIII LSC "Maxine II" (RIP Maxine I, 5-16-03)
'91 Mark VII BB "Monica"
'67 Thunderbird "Molly"

Sounds like you have a bad potentiometer in the column. You can get the part from a ford dealer. You have to take the steering column apart to replace it. It's located on the right side of the column.
Good luck, it's a PITA job.
Phil

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Sounds like you have a bad potentiometer in the column. You can get the part from a ford dealer. You have to take the steering column apart to replace it. It's located on the right side of the column.Good luck, it's a PITA job.Phil
[/div]

I didn't need to hear that. My problem is the telescoping went out on mine. Not only can't I adjust it with the switch, the memory function doesn't do anything either. Just up and down. Funny thing is, before the telescoping went out, I was having problems with the up-down part acting goofy when I tried to change it. So I figured it was the switch for sure and ordered one from Max. But now that the telescoping has gone out, the up-down works perfectly. I was hoping to replace the MF switch this weekend. Now you're saying that it may be something else completely. Grrr. I wanted to have everything running right before I drove to Cinci next weekend.

make a fist smack the wheel bottom while toggling the switch. usually 2 quick hits does it. after a while you will get the hang of it. its probably not the switch it most likely has to do with the gears not meshing properly. 97 lsc

Mine had intermittant problems with in and out and up and down, and the wheel would occasionaly just do it's own thing for a second or two, when my multifunction switch went out.

If the wheel is in the up position, hold the toggle switch down and give a tug downwards. If the wheel moves downward by motor drive, the problem is the potentiometer. I had the same problem in my car and the problem was solved with replacement of the potentiometer.

Phil

Back