Moderator's forum

Art

Registered
Some people are trying to say that the moderators should not meet in secret in their own forum. Evidently, they don't know how it's done in the real world. Many meetings are held in private for very good reasons. These would include:

1. City planning committees
2. Senate and House committees and sub-committees
3. Jurys
4. Corporate boards of director
5. City and county councils
Etc.

I don't see why anyone would call this 'shameful'. They should be encouraged to to it without outsiders hacking into the proceedings.
Unfortunately, some on the Dark Side don't see it that way. Of course, they are too cowardly to come forth.

RE: Moderator's forum

Id love to have access ad be a fly on the wall, but your right Art. the mods forum should be seperate and for the mods to talk to each other candidly.

John: exactly where did I ask any questions? I have a pretty good handle on what has been going on. And you? Email me, and I might be able to open your eyes a little bit.

Sure it's a cross post, but it's pertinent.

I have no ambitions to become a Moderator. Nor do I feel the need to "keep on eye" on the moderators.

If they're good, and aren't screwing up the club, then who cares? Not me. I've got other things to worry about.

I voted yes. Management (Moderators) does (do) need to have a place where they can go to discuss policy, and such. I see no reason for this forum to be public, or even "read only" to the constituent members.

Any major board changes that have a profound effect on the user community here should be put to vote.

Just my $.02
John

I agree that they need a forum and whatever is said in that room should stay in that room. There is business to be discussed and sometimes it aint friendly. As for talking badly about people, I dont see a problem with it. They need a place to blow off steam with like minded people, and it should be in confidence.

I love my family more than anything. sometimes I get together with my sisters and talk badly about my parents. Does that mean I like them any less? If I am willing to talk badly about the people I love most in this world, should it surprise you if I have something bad to say about you? Some people need to get thier ego's in check and realize that they are not that important.

The mod forum is being mentioned as though it’s some kind of secret society where the future of the world is planned and we make life or death decisions. In truth it’s a place where the moderators discuss (at times argue) about certain posts and whether to move it or delete and things to make the forum and club better based on ideas from the club members. One of us may feel that a post is offense or a personal attack and another moderator would feel that it has merit. After it’s discussed a decision is made to move or delete. Believe me, our discussions can become heated and we definitely don’t all see it the same way at first or come to a unanimous decision. Every business, organization, and family has a version of the “Mod Forum”; it’s just a place to talk candidly about things, which can affect the overall business, organization, or family.

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING...

I mod another board and we use the moderators forum exactly as Bill described. It's just easier to post there and is available for all mods to see and comment on.

I think the membership probably does more "secret" communications than mods ever do. How many times have you discussed something in person, in e-mail, via IM, telephone or even snail mail pertaining to something on this forum? That's all "secret" communications too you know :)

I can't imagine how the moderators would function without a place to discuss ongoing issues and pose questions to other moderators. If anything, removing this forum would lead to more independent actions by moderators, with less input by other moderators. Or, how are they to know whether someone has received a warning yet? I don't think people would like having warnings issued by 5 different moderators, instead of a place where the moderators can say "I took care of that already."

There has to be some way for them to communicate, and considering logistics, are they expected to make long distance phone calls every time a post needs to be moved or perhaps deleted? Decisions by this group of moderators were not taken lightly and those who were less experienced also learned a lot from asking questions on how to handle locking threads, or when a post should be deleted, etc.

Back