steering wheel shake

apbpetey

Registered
Here's the problem. The wheel shakes all the time. The tires are new and have been balanced. The rear veiw mirror vibrates, so I has thinking driveshaft. The wheel gets really bad when applying brakes and that's when it is at its worse. So possible bad rotor. My question is what do you guys think? Driveshaft? rotors? or both? I was thinking manybe do rotors first and see, but I just had the tranny redone and if its the shaft I don't want to mess anything up. Also if I do the driveshaft what else should I change maybe u-joints? Any if info is great

RE: steering wheel shake

Will the rotors make the wheel shake all the time or just when I brake? It shakes all the time.

How long have you had the car, and was it like this for long? Stock wheels or aftermarket?

had the car about 2 months now. Wheel has done this the whole time. Stock rims. It has cooper (trendsetters???) on it, put on right after I got the car. Like I said it shakes all the time, not really bad bad until I apply the brakes, but can feel the shake while driving also.

Cooper Shaker Tires....

Dump'em.

Check the tie rod ends and get new tires w/ a Hunter (machine) speed balance job along with the rotors.

te
LM8

Seeing as he specifically said it does it even when he doesnt apply the brakes, it very well could be a belt in one of the tires separated.

usually if you apply the brakes and it gets worse....it is the rotors[/quote]

True.

Whats wrong with cooper/ I have had them on a few cars and they have alright. Not the best and truely not the worse just average. I had the tires balanced when they put them on. I don't believe it is the tires. I plan on doing the brakes soon. Hopefully it fixes the prob. If not then at least I know I have new brakes. i will probally do both the front and rear at the same time.

I had Coopers on mine 3 years ago and the wheel shook like that.....got rid of them, put Dayton LE's on and no more shake...

Imagine that..

Have never changed 1 rotor on this car.

te
LM8
146.7k miles

Man!! Did you see that NASCAR race on sunday? They had a camera mounted so you could see the brakes when then took the Martinsville flat corners....They glowed ~HOT~ like a Pittsburgh steel mill!! It was pretty cool..

te
LM8
(Never brake for CITGO gas)

Tom: you must be new to NASCAR on TV. They have been doing that rotor shot at Martinsville for years.

Cant get that shot from the grandstands at Daytona....

te
Daytona Mark VIII

I go to Daytona also but I thought we were talking about Martinsville.

Warped rotars may be combined with steering rack/tie rod damage also, I've had good results from Brigstone RE730 "Z"s. Take the wheels off and check on the inside of the rim for debris (like NASCAR marble build-up).

Christopher Bennett
Bristow, VA
93 Black LSC

If you rotate your tires and don't see any difference, and you verify that your suspension parts are OK, try this method before you replace your brakes: [link:www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm|stoptech.com]

I haven't had to try it myself, but it makes sense.

Back