Garage Door

Trixie

Staff member
OK, this is I guess an odd request - our garage door is totally busted, it's sitting on an angle and won't shut.

How it got this way -- the usual. It broke a little with all the ice and snow, and Hubby said he'd fix it. He of course does nothing, and now it's REALLY broken.

So anyone in the Chicago area know about garage doors, or anything like that? Places to get new doors, or someone who installs them? Any hints I can pass on to Hubby?

I wish he'd just admit that he can't do things and let me hire a professional when the need arises....

RE: Garage Door

Garage doors are pretty basic in operation and not that hard to fix. You can get alll the common parts that break at the local hardware store or home depot. Broken springs are one of the most common problems. It is easier to replace the springs if you have tow persons doing it. Be careful replacing the spring, as with the dooor down, they are under a lot of tension.

A good website to learn about repair is here:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infgar/infgar1.shtm

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

I've done a few door repairs and if you don't have the proper tools to wind the springs up, which you'll need, don't attempt it. It can be very dangerous. I went and bought the rods that are needed to do the job safely a while ago and that's how I managed to do it. Previously I tried using a couple long screw drivers and believe me that was a mistake.

I've used this guy a few times recently because I don't like that job. He's local to you also. Maybe his truck etc isn't the most professional looking but he can fix the door. He's a friend of my wife's so tell him Sharon Christenson sent you.

Pat Callahan
Discount Door
(847) 274-1460

I hope the numbers still good.

http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmark.jpg

Thanks guys. Paul, I'll pass that info on to Hubby. I do believe we're past mere springs now, as the whole door is off the track. I'm really hoping he doesn't try to fix this himself now.

EDIT: It's not the springs. Apparently the door froze to the ground and chewed up the gears. He ordered the part and IS going to try to fix it himself -- how on earth he's gonna get the door back on track is beyond me, not to mention I do think we need a new door....

Oh well, when he can't get it fixed, we've got the number. ;) Til then my baby's sitting out in the snow.

If you have the torsion springs that are on the shaft above the door, this is what I suggest. If you have the long springs on either side of the door, I have no experience with those.

Although garage door openers and the doors themselves can differ, I imagine he will have to release the tension on the springs to fix the door and then after it's fixed he will have to wind up the springs again.

Tell him to go to a good hardware store and buy 2 steel rods about 18" long and about 1/2 to 5/8" thick to wind the springs up. Measure the circumference of the holes to get the proper circumference. DON'T TRY IT WITH ANYTHING LESS as the energy in those wound up springs can surprise you in a bad way.

http://members.tccoa.com/lastmrk/Images/lastmark.jpg

Thanks Paul. I'll let you know how it goes. I heard hammering earlier today. Hopefully he'll just call someone.

Sharon, I'm with you. Hire someone. You get a guarantee/warranty and don't have to get cold.
Our broke and it cost $75 to have the spring replaced and door realigned.
Of course if you need a new one, I'd get an insulated aluminum one.

Back