A Drink A Day May Help Protect Kidneys

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/hsn/20050510/hl_hsn/adrinkadaymayhelpprotectkidneys

A Drink A Day May Help Protect Kidneys Tue May 10, 7:01 PM ET

TUESDAY, May 10 (HealthDay News) -- In a finding that runs counter to conventional wisdom, researchers have found that consuming moderate amounts of alcohol -- about one drink a day -- may prevent kidney function decline in men.

Researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital, in Boston, stressed, however, that the finding does not mean individuals should take up drinking -- especially heavy drinking -- as a means of protecting their kidneys.

In their study, published in the May 9 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine, the researchers examined patient blood samples and questionnaires collected from more than 11,000 men enrolled in the ongoing Physicians' Health Study.

They found that men who consumed at least seven drinks per week were at a 30 percent lower risk of elevated levels of a compound called creatinine in the blood, compared to men who had one or no drinks per week. High blood creatinine levels are a strong indiator of kidney dysfunction.

"In previous studies, moderate alcohol consumption has been consistently associated with beneficial health effects on cardiovascular disease, however, the association between alcohol consumption and renal dysfunction was less clear, and most studies found a harmful effect on the kidneys," Dr. Tobias Kurth, a researcher in the Division of Aging at Brigham and Women's Hospital, said in a prepared statement.

"This is the first study to show a consistent reduction in the risk of chronic kidney disease with light to moderate drinking. Given the new findings that traditional cardiovascular risk factors are associated with kidney disease, the data is not surprising. This study may be broadening our knowledge of alcohol and disease prevention," Kurth said.

He noted this study only included data from healthy men and that more research is needed in this area to confirm the findings, especially for women and sicker individuals.

More information

The National Kidney Disease Education Program offers advice on how to protect your kidneys.

RE: A Drink A Day May Help Protect Kidneys

I think drinking 9 beers is much better, and give the kidneys a needed workout. Who the hell drinks one beer? You don't even start feeling it till #4. ::roll::

Now I'm conflicted. My kidneys are important to me but so is my liver. My liver told my doctor and he told me "STOP DRINKING!" It's been three years now and I'm still discovering the joys of a "straight" lifestyle.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
"It's been three years now and I'm still discovering the joys of a "straight" lifestyle"...tell us about these "joys" of a straight lifestyle.heheheBud Pytko'97 LSC Silver Frost'92 F250 Banks TurboDiesel Bimini Blue'94 Prowler 5th Wheelhttp://myfilelocker.comcast.net/charlespytko/Lincoln/BudPytko97LSC.JPG
[/div]

Well.......lets see
1. I wake up feeling great
2. I actually get things done
3. I have more money
4. I've cut way back on having to apologize for saying and/or doing something stupid.
5. I never have to think about DUI & can be a designated driver
6. I probably won't die of cerosis before I'm 60
7. I don't spend time in smokey bars with other drunks laughing at dumb jokes
8. I feel mentally sharper
9. I have time to do things I enjoy

I've been a drinker for many years and have watched some of my drinking buddies turn into hopeless drunks who can't hold down a job or support their families. Other's are able to work but drink after work and on the weekends and get little done in life. And, of course, there are many who are able to enjoy alcohol without hurting themselves or their families. I wish the best for all of them but I'm really enjoying not drinking.

Yanno I see some of my ol buddies over the years that drink alot and yes some don't show up for work, beat their ol ladies/kids and loose jobs or get DUI's yes drinking has its faults (big ones )
yes i get more done on weeks that i don't drink
but there is alot of recreation / fun times in getting loaded with friends and laugh at each other, but not driving cars ,although it is fun riding ATV'S with friends/wife a bunch a beer and snacks
and I would have more money if i didn't drink (can't take it with me)
but at 44 I am lucky that it hasn't effected my health or i would quit too and get new friends

I quit drinking for health reasons but kept most of my friends. Many still drop by to watch sports but now they have to bring their own beer. LOL! Sometimes I drop by a local bar to catch a band I've heard about but it's not the same.

Back