3.73's!!!

Ponyfreak

Registered
Well I finally got those things in there. First thoughts: THey are just about the right amount of gear for the car without loosing drivabilty. The 4.10's are pretty geary, adn the 4.30's are nuts for extended highway use.

I worked extra hard on getting these gears in teh pumpkin. I spent a LOT of time making sure the ring and pinion were in there perfect. Including reshimming the pinion. Looks like it paid off, I have absolutly no vibration that I can feel so far. I had it up to around 100 or so.

Performance? Well there was some stupid Chrysler day at the track today, instead of the normal test and tune, so I did nto get any official track times. I did some more g-tech times, and here is what I got.

N/A 0-60

80 shot and low bottle 0-60

there is ABSOLUTLY no wheel spin at all with the trac loc and these drag radials. 1-2 shift is freaky, almost feels like something is going ot break it hits so hard. The EEC has not learned that the gears are in there yet. IT hits the rev limiter by itself on the 1-2 sometimes. One I get that stupid Chip in there that will cure that problem as well.

The car is a definate any time any where 13 second n/a car.
I am thinking that I will hit a 12.90 with the gears and the 80, and a 12.70 with a 100. Hopefully my 60 ft times will drop to the 1.9's now.

RE: 3.73's!!!

No; I have the STOCK driveshaft.. that is why I opted for 3.73's because I did not want to buy a driveshaft.

good deal!
maybe i will lean to 3.73's.... so then i can try it w/o a new shaft.. can always buy one later if i need one..

3.73's are not bad, My car is 2500 @ 75mph

Pony, is your 0-60 without the shot the N/A? 5.5 seems pretty quick even with gears if that is the case...do you have other mods?

Brent
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~brenth/markviii/Brent's-Mark-VIII.jpg

I got the 4.30's in the pearl car, while I did not take her on the road very much, there were still a lot of revs. Maybe I jsut did not like driving 75 on the highway and making boost the whole time.

At any rate the car likes hte 3.73's and i am not going ot have to get a driveshaft which is what I was really not wanting to stay away from. If I had to get a driveshaft, I would have gone with 4.10's without a doubt.

Your gears are in good hands JNOC.

Yea Brent that 5.5 0-60 is w/o the NOS. There is a list of my mods in my profile for the red car.
I have ran a 14.17 @ 102.57 n/a with everything besides the gears at tristate jsut a month ago.
I only have a handful of mods, ported intake, longtubes with dual 2.5", 3.73's now, Pro-M MAF, and some home made cold air contraption. That is about it. No chip yet. It is supposed to be burned and on its way. The car will jstu get faster after I get the chip, a timing adjsuter, and get it on the dyno so I can get teh a/f where I want it. The chip is mainly being used so I can shift where I want to and without fear of hittign the limiter with the NOS and take the EGR code off.

3.73's are not bad, My car is 2500 @ 75mph

Pony, is your 0-60 without the shot the N/A? 5.5 seems pretty quick even with gears if that is the case...do you have other mods?

Brent

Thanks for puttin up the numbers Pony..looks awesome. Take care of Johnny's old gears..;) Nice that someone is puttin them to good use. Although I thought you needed a new driveshaft once you went 3.73 and up? Didn't I read somewhere that's why you were opting for 3.55s?

I won't do gears for awhile...maybe for 2004 Carlisle...but I am still up in the air on what ratio to do...especially cause I'm not certain on how much I will eventually throw at the engine...so any advice would be greatly appreciated..:)

http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/001/08/B3/A3/C8/NM-FhQeBSH6UcCy5a-mp43aBaeSUjjc+0060.jpg

ok guys,i've got a 93 w/a toast tranny.considering a bulletproof reinhart for around 1500,does anybody have one?i read the info on them on the T.C.C.O.A site,makes sense,but do they really last forever?and also i'm alot more into being able to do 160 on the interstate than neck snapping launches,so would i be better off with a 3.55 or should i just step up to the 3.27?and would the pos centerpeice i see on LMS help me or would i be better off just changing the gear in my rear end?any halp would be appreciated as this is my first non-g.m.venture.and if anyone cares to see,i have pics atwww.cardomain.com/members/cadillackman

my bad i meant positraction,reguardless i need to know about the 4R70W.fact.rebuild compared to the bulletproofing,i'm not gonna launch it everytime i take off and i'm much more into high end compared to 0-60.SO-what would better suit me for that kinda driving.AND wouldn't a 3.55 give me a higher top-out than a 3.73?

IMHO I would not change the gears if you care more about high end than 0-60. You need a chip to get rid of the speed limiter. Depending where you live, there are very few places you can run these cars to the top end safely, with or without the speed limiter(for any length of time or distance). The effortless cruising at 80+ mph seems to be the sweet spot for a stock gear setup with plenty of reserve above.

As far as the tranny, for very little more you can get a pro built unit that will outlast a factory reman in most instances. Either way a transmission cooler is a must have upgrade for longevity, whether highway cruising, stop & go city traffic or even countless 1/4 mile runs.

cool,but i can't even hit the limiter on the interstate.it gets up to 120 and hangs,of course i mainly do caddy's,but when the limiter kicks in on it {125-130)it cuts the throttle completely off until around 100 or so.(late night straightaways)i always thought it was the gear ratio doing this to me on the lincoln,of course it has 155,000 miles on it too.engine seems to be solid,no leaks,no smoke,passed emissions.2nd.gear is toast 3rd.&o/d are seemingly ok but i keep it in o/d past 75-80,so i guess my next question is how high can you take the rpm's in any certain gear before it would be considered ragging out the engine?

cool,but i can't even hit the limiter on the interstate.it gets up to 120 and hangs...
...so i guess my next question is how high can you take the rpm's in any certain gear before it would be considered ragging out the engine?

120 sounds about right for stock speed limiter.

A couple of guys here 'rag out' their engine quite frequently. I'll hit the rev limiter on occasion... usually too busy then to actually see what the revs are though.

Back