Diesel Fuel Vs Gasoline

mrrobertstv

Registered
Can anyone tell me why diesel fuel has surpassed Gasoline in price I am doing a shoot on the difference in Diesel and Gasoline is diesel a by product of gas and if so then why the high prices....

RE: Diesel Fuel Vs Gasoline

I'm not certain on this, but I think the same portion of crude oil used to make diesel fuel is also used to make heating oil. Because the refineries are cranking out more heating oil to have stock for the winter there isn't as much diesel fuel being refined. From there it's supply and demand. Diesel, No. 2 Fuel Oil, Kerosene, and Jet Fuel are essentially the same. Home heating oil demand in winter pushes up Diesel prices.

I read somewhere that they can get more gasoline than diesel out of a barrel of crude oil.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I think it's because producers know most diesel is used for commercial deliveries, so truckers, etc., will just pass along the costs, (when they can)...[/div]

Bingo.

In my 2002 F250 PowerStroke Diesel, I remember not long after i got it(2001), I was grimacing fuel stops approaching and eventually surpassing $50. Now it is not uncommon to go past the $100 mark.

I also remember when diesel fuel first started costing more than gasoline, it was pretty much a rule of thumb it was 10-20 cents above mid-grade gasoline. Now that spread is more like 40-50 cents.

In Saudi, Diesel is soooooooooooo cheap. A cousin of mine fills his Skoda (a VW owned company, with the regular VW diesel engine found on golf and Jetta’s) For a cool $4!!! It also gets him 500miles per tank. How is that for fuel economy ;)

Before the gulf war, it was about a dollar to fill up a tank with diesel.... the good old days when it was 5bucs to fill up our '89 Crown Victoria with 97 octane gas.

This makes products much cheaper for the consumer, a reason why living expenses are much lower.

I talked with a friend that works for Exxon and asked him the same question.

His reply was... the vendor/station only get's "X" amount of fuel per delivery, be it regular, mid grade or Super unleaded.. and diesel.

If his delivery quota is 5000 gallons and he gets 1000 gallons of diesel, then he has shorted himself a full 1000 gallons of Gasoline.

he's not going to get 1000 gallons LESS of Regular or Midgrade fuel, due to those being better sellers than super unleaded.

That makes him 1000 gallons SHORT on Super Unleaded...

So.... they price the diesel fuel at the same price they would be selling super unleaded at, since that is the grade fuel they "shorted" themselves on in order to provide diesel fuel TO the consumer.

Just a rumor from an exxon employee.. but it sounded good to me, and he really had no reason to fabricate misinformation for my benefit.

Hope this helps

Tommy

"maybe" that has something to do with Diesel not being a "hot seller" and the chance the stations take by buying it in the first place.

Diesel will go bad while it sits in the tank if it's not sold in a timely fashion.

Which is probably another reason the stations dont buy ALOT of it at one time...

Smaller orders cost more, that's pretty common knowledge.

Orders that dont fall in the normal delivery pattern also cost more to the station.

Or maybe it's just a conspiracy, and the aliens are charging more for diesel these days.
*shruggs*

The recent law changes demanding low sulfer diesel fuel has changed all the rules.
Diesel that was less expensive had high sulpher levels that are now illegal.
Therefore they have to refine diesel much more raising refining prices.
You and I (especially I since I use roughly 600 gallons a week) pay for that refining.
If California gets its way sulpher levels will be reduced by another 400 ppm so be prepared for another increase.

Back