Tune Up Specs

J

joeychgo

Going to get a tun up on my 94 Mark....

What should I spec for the mechanic? Which plugs, cables, etc. Dealer did it last time, but I want it done right without spending alot of money.........

RE: Tune Up Specs

well, I basically have no tools, very basic knowlege, and little patience. :) Hence, I go to a mechanic for most things....

For what the dealer will charge up for a routine tuneup, you can most like buy the parts and tools you'll need. Then next time, you'll have the tools and will be able to do the job whenever you find time at the cost of just parts.

Everyone has to start somewhere and the basic tuneup is a good starting point.

Good luck

Come swing by the house and I'll help out. I'll be busy this weekend but I'm free the weekend of the 18th.

David O'Donnell
'97 Mark VIII LSC "Maxine II" (RIP Maxine I, 5-16-03)
'91 Mark VII BB "Monica"
'67 Thunderbird "Molly"

aside from the debate as to whether to do it myself or not, I still need specs ---

You need 8 wires, 8 spark plugs, 1 fuel filter, and 1 air filter. :)

Might as well do an oil change while we'er at it. All we need to do is go to the local auto parts store let them know the year and the computer spits everything out. No problem! Ever thought about asking your mechanic off of St. Charles for the specs?

David O'Donnell
'91 Mark VII BB "Monica"
'67 Thunderbird "Molly"

Might as well do an oil change while we'er at it. All we need to do is go to the local auto parts store let them know the year and the computer spits everything out. No problem! Ever thought about asking your mechanic off of St. Charles for the specs?

David O'Donnell
'91 Mark VII BB "Monica"
'67 Thunderbird "Molly"

Thats actually who im gonna take it to..... But I dont expect he is gonna have all the knowlege andwisdom of the wonderful members of LOD.. (cough) :)

Either MSD wires from summit (85$) or Ford Motorsport wires for a 96-98 cobra (120$)

Motorcraft plugs part # awsf22-c gapped at about 52

any new paper filter

a new wixx or motorcraft oil filter

6.5 quarts of your favorite oil.I hope its Mobil 1 or amsoil.

can someone give me detailed instructions to clean the MAF and the throttle body....would be helpful...thanks

The way I cleaned the maf was to just open up the air box and spray it down good with electricial contact cleaner.. For the throttle body disconnect/remove the TB intake tube and spray the TB down good with TB cleaner/(carb.clenaer) you buy from the parts store. Do this with the engine running spray a little at a time, you will have to mannualy work the throttle and keep the rpm's up or the car will die/stall out (not good) keep spraying until it is all nice clean and shinny again.

One thing I did on my tuneup was run a can of BG44K through the fuel system. It is a pretty good injector/fuel system cleaner. Also cleans carbon buildup from the tops of your pistons and valves. I think it is a worthwhile product.

Sometimes it is hard to find this stuff. They have a good distributor locator on their website though. Call the number that comes up and the distributor can tell you what shops carry the product. It is about $20 for a can.

http://www.bgprod.com/bgdistloc/body.php

Trust me on this one.

It wont hurt to only run 6 but if you drive the car hard use 6.5

These heads are huge and they can hold a LOT of oil up top and if the pickup tube has nothing to pickup you better pickup a new engine.LOL

Trust me on this one.

It wont hurt to only run 6 but if you drive the car hard use 6.5

These heads are huge and they can hold a LOT of oil up top and if the pickup tube has nothing to pickup you better pickup a new engine.LOL

And all this time I thought a local garage overfilled my oil. I learn something new here all the time. I feel a lot better about that garage now and might go back cause they changed the oil with Amsoil syn. and it only cost me $10 more than if I did it myself. With the car lowered it gets to be a PITA to work under and the 10 bucks for the oil change is worth it.

If they only charged 10 bucks more for amsoil then they are charging way too much for regular oil.Wholesale,Amsoil is around 5 bucks a quart.Retail is around 7-8 bucks.Great oil.In my opinion its a little better than Mobil 1.I run mobile 1 in my street cars, and Amsoil in my race applications.

Clarification: the oil, and filter would cost me 40$, 5.99$ per quart for the oil the rest for the filter.(not Amsoil) The total cost for the oil change was 49.95$.
That is around ten bucks for labor. Well with 6.5 quarts of oil thats even cheaper than 10$. A regular oil change there is about 17$.

Back