Summary of Magnum RT driving experience so far

Roadie

Registered
I posted a while back that I replaced my 95 Mark with a new leftover 2005 Magnum RT July 5,2006. I thought I would share a brief summary of my driving experience so far.
The RT has 340 hp from 345 cu. in. and is backed by a 5 speed automatic that allows full manual control. It has an independent rear suspension with rear drive.
It is rated to tow up to 3500 lbs. The tranny oil cooler is separate from the radiator and is the same with the tow option or without.

The weight distribution it 52%front and 48% rear which is much better than the Mark, resulting in much better traction especially on wet roads. The battery is located in the rear.

The first thing I noticed is that the ignition key is on the dash. Since I am an old dude, I think that is where it belongs. The engine starts up immediately, much faster than any other fuel injected car I've experienced.

There is an exhaust rumble noticeable on startup. After that, it isn't noticeable. The engine noise is completely isolated from the passenger compartment until you step on it making it quieter than the Mark. The car is quiet until you get on some rough textured roads and then the tire noise is more than the Mark.

The front and rear has plenty of leg room for adults. The driver's seat is very comfortable although it gets a little hard after several hours of driving. The back seats fold down allowing much cargo space.

With the larger displacement and more hp, it will definitely take off quicker than a Mark. I suspect it is about the same as a Mark with 4.10's. Above 60mph, the difference is not so noticeable. Car and Driver said it weighed 4,295lbs if I remember correctly and I suspect that is about right. It feels heavier than the Mark. Dodge says it weighs 4,125lbs. "empty". I think that means no fuel, engine oil, transmission fluid, diff greas, or coolant. The engine holds 7 qts. of 5w20. If you use other than 5W20, the Multi-Displacement System doesn't work.
Dodge recommends 30 psig in the tires. At that pressure, it rides really smooth. However, I like the handling better with the tires at 45psig. The stock 225/60x18 Continental tires mounted on 7.5" rims are rated for 51psig max.
I currently have 11k miles on it, mostly because I was driving back and forth from Wilmington NC to Birmingham AL every two weeks when I was working there. So far, the right rear power window needed a new motor/regulator and the speedometer failed causing the replacement of the entire instrument cluster. Since then, the stereo head needs replacement. The mode button doesn't work and it usually won't eject CDs.
the console is hinged at the rear, making it inconvenient to open and remove my work badge while entering the plant.

The stereo is the standard RT stereo, but it is an upgraded stereo with Boston Acoustic speakers that give it a good sound.

I installed an Addco 1 1/8" rear sway bar on my Mark replacing a broken stock bar. This made a major improvement in the handling of the Mark (Mark owners, if you haven't done this, do it now! You will love the result!) and that is how I remember it. The Magnum handling is not even close to my Mark with that bar. I want to replace the rear bar and maybe the front on the Mag, but you have to lower the entire axle assembly to install it on the rear.

I was getting 28 mpg coming from AL and 26 (on premium) going back with the Mark. The Mag gets 22.4 to 22.8 (on 89 octane) driving the same speeds of 75 to 80 mph most of the way.

Neither the Mark nor the Mag engines burned oil.

I really like the Magnum RT. I think it is a great replacement for the Mark. However, I'm not fanatical about it like I was the Mark. I kept my Mark for 9 years! There was something about the Mark that caused instant passion that never faded.

I hope you enjoy my summary.

Back