Upgrading Speakers.

maxmk8

Registered
I really don't like the way my factory speakers sound with my current setup (Sony 850MP headunit 2 10 inch kickers in the trunk). Can I upgrade the speakers without changing the amp in the back and gain a significant amount of sound quality? I want to improve bass, and midlevel sounds.

What bothers me most about the current setup is that when the volume is up only a little bit (10-15%), I can hear a hissing sound as if there too much power going through the system but it becomes indistinguishable once the volume goes up.

If I have to upgrade the factory amp I will, but can I keep the stock wires as well as tweeters?? Or will I have to upgrade the wires as well.

Does anyone have recommendations as to what speakers to use, and to keep the factory look?

RE: Upgrading Speakers.

I think most of the speakers in the Mark will fit but they need special form-fitting brackets of sorts. Have you checked out Crutchfield?

You could rewire all of your speakers, but that's a pain.

Start from scratch, trust me it's worth it. With the stock amps crossovers there's really no point in changing speakers, the sound won't benefit much. And re-wiring the car isn't really that hard, but you should definetly no reuse the stock wires. go the www.knukonceptz.com for the best deal on really high quality wire (my whole car uses this stuff right now)

Any 5x7 or 6x8 speaker will fit. 6.5's will fit with a DIY bracket.
For a great sound on a budget get a good 75x4 or 100x4 amp and some Infinity Kappa 572.5cf. You can find these for under $100 on ebay, and the have the best sound in their price range, as well as the best power handling. They come with their own crossovers too, whih is helpful. Sleeper had these speakers for a while, he can vouch for them.

If you want higher end speakers or sound and are willing to spend a bit more, I can help you there, too.

dj
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/602000-602999/602027_21.jpg
^^^^^^My 3 Babies!!!^^^^^^

I've never heard that particular MB, but the MB's I've heard usually have too bright of tweeters, but a good midrange. Unfortunalty not too many great speakers are made in the 5x7, 6x8 size. The infinity's are the best I've heard, but it really is worth it to make a bracket for 6.5 inch speakers, it opens a whole new world of speakers. If you have the premium sound with the grills in the top of the door, than it's real easy and sounds great to just throw some 1 inch tweets up there and a midbass down below. When I had my Kicker Resolutions, the tweeter fit up there with no tape or nothing, just squeezed it in there and it never moved, and sounded awesome.

dj
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/602000-602999/602027_21.jpg
^^^^^^My 3 Babies!!!^^^^^^

Yeah, I know. I had these RF 6.5 components for a while now, but they arent' cutting it anymore. One of the woofers is going bad. I just wanted to swap something in there, without the need to fabricate another set of brackets, since the RFs needed something really special, not too deep, but also a spacer between them and the door panel.

Infinity - are we talking reference or kappa ?

I hope it's ok to add this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18800&item=5714951491&rd=1

Thanks for the great help. I'm basically willing to spend about $100-150 per pair of speakers and about $300 (preferably less) for the amp. I really want my car to have rich clean deep sound.

Back