General purpose engine question..

GR8VIII

Registered
My neighbor squirted carb cleaner down the air port of his fuel injected 4 cyl. Toyota truck. (thinking it was a carb under the air filter) When it backfired he then hosed the engine down. Two days later it still won't start, so wet electronics can probably be ruled out. Question is, what bad things can happen by squirting carb cleaner down that air port? It ran pretty good before, he claims. Thanks, BA

RE: General purpose engine question..

ohhhh boy... keep him away from the lawn mover... he could have fouled the plugs, got water in the engine, backfired damaged an internal piece, Any one of millions of electonics could be out of wack due to the backfire... thats just off the top of my head

get some starting fluid. keep cranking it. try a little starting fluid. if that don't work, check and see if you have spark. if you have spark, check to see if you have fuel pressure. if you have all that, check the compression.

Why would he hose the engine down because it backfired? Was it really just a backfire or was the engine on fire? How much carb cleaner was used...a few squirts or a whole can? And when the engine was hosed down, was it at running temperature? Hot engines that are not running and a sudden mix with stone cold water is not the best thing and even though it's been a couple days, and depending on just how much it was hosed down, I wouldn't rule out wet ignition.

Well thanks for the replies guys. Frankly, I've given up on this guy. He's an old Iranian and it's too hard to get the complete story out of him. I think it backfired, caught fire by the exhaust manifold and thus the hosing. - But I'd like to learn some more while on this subject for my own understanding. I've had carbs apart and have a general idea how THEY work but haven't a clue on the fuel injection. Does the air enter the cylinder from a separate port or does the air and fuel get mixed somewhere before the injectors? I also know NOT to pump the accelerator before cranking the Mark. Is that true on ALL fuel injected engines? (I think my neighbor was probably pumping heck out of the throttle before starting) Thanks again, BA

pumping the gas shouldn't make a difference on a fuel injected car. The fuel mixes with the air before it enters the cylinder. some cars have throttle body injection (looks like a carb) that adds the fuel before it goes into the intake, others have injectors at each cylinder (port fuel injection). Both inject fuel into the intake, the latter injects it much closer to the valves.

Back