Always looking for another project

Zach65

Registered
Ok, so my rocker's are rusted just like every other Gen 1 mark 8 owner in the chicago area. Whoever had the car previous to me took care of the mechanicals and neglected the beautiful body this car has. I believe this car will be the one my son is gonna say "Why the hell did you sell that, I could have driven it!" What other car looks this good besides the new T-Birds and the New Mustangs. Cars with a little power i mean. Sorry, no one is gonna be Hot Rodding the new Malibu in 2035. And everyone knows the ZipZapper Civic phase is out. Forget Mercedes and BMW. Great cars, but I'm talking Hot Rods. Hence the Hot Rod Lincoln, for now, and for always. Thank you. Anyway, My rockers rusted about a whole the height of the rocker, about 6" long. What to do. I don't own a welder because I spent the money I was gonna spend on a welder for the Mustang, on a nice compressor and HVLP spray gun. Are there any other alternatives besides Bondo (I dont do that unless its less than a 1/8" thick). I don;t know why I;m asking. Just thought someone might know something new to do. If i have to, I guess I could find a welder. thanks guys. and girls.
1965 Mustang in primer
1995 Mark VIII
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/771000-771999/771311_5_full.jpg

RE: Always looking for another project

To fix it you need to cut the rusted piece out and weld in a new rocker panel. You want a body shop to do this. But in all honesty it would be smarter to buy a mark with no rust than to go to the expense to fix yours.

I don't see too many marks with rust on them. The older t-birds are pretty bad, but '94-up thunderchickens seem to hold up pretty well, as do the marks. My '94 Mark was rust-free when i sold it with 154k.

Mine had rust in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side (most common spot) body shop fixed it for a few hundred about 4 years ago, but i noticed it's starting to come back x(

Yea, I know how to weld. I learned in High School. I just don't own a welder. i guess i could find one or rent one. I also know how to prep, paint, cut, and buff. My mark's paint has metallics in it so that would be a new experience but I am capable of doing the work if I had the means to weld in a new section of rocker. The rust spot is in front of the passenger side rear wheel well. Im gonna take a cutter to it and weld a new piece in. I don't know if anyone's ever noticed but there is a blue tube that comes down, right where the rust starts in front of the wheel well. I saw it on a 93 Mark too. It must be a factory flaw because that's where the rust starts. The tube must dump water down there from somewhere else, I dont know where. Well, thanks.
1965 Mustang in primer
1995 Mark VIII
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/771000-771999/771311_5_full.jpg

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I don't know if anyone's ever noticed but there is a blue tube that comes down, right where the rust starts in front of the wheel well. I saw it on a 93 Mark too. It must be a factory flaw because that's where the rust starts. The tube must dump water down there from somewhere else, I dont know where. [/div]

Do you have a moonroof?

I don't think my car has this tube you're talking about, maybe it's a drain from the moonroof.

Keep in mind that when you weld a new piece in, that spot is going to be more suceptible to corrosion than the rest of the car. But if you keep it clean and keep the salt off it in the winter it should be fine.

If the rocker isn't rusted all the way through, or if there's just one or two little holes, i wouldn't weld in a new piece. Just fix what's there.

No, I don't have a moon roof. i don't know what it could be from. Somewhere in or near the trunk maybe? Yea, It needs a whole new section. I wish it was just a few rust holes, but i is a section. Now that the car is lowered you can't really see it, but it's there. We'll see if anyone buys it before I fix it. My cars are always for sale, I have been looking for a 98. I found 3 98s for 3000. One had an engine fire, one ran into a treee, and and one had a tree fall on the roof. That was the best one. I was thinking of making a cenvertible! thanks for the advice.
1965 Mustang in primer
1995 Mark VIII

Got the new rocker welded in, primed, painted, and cleared and you can't tell it has ever been fixed. I am not kidding either, my grandpa and I blended it up at his shop and left that little space between the rocker and the rear quater and you can't tell it has been fixed. Put that little blue hose whatever it was too, out the place where it was supposed to go. Looks like a new car on that side. Thanks for the input!
1965 Mustang in primer
1995 Mark VIII

Back