Pulled off the silver embedded molding from the door...

logres

Registered
The sun faded and cracked the lower silver embedded side molding on my passenger door, so I decided to remove it as whatever was underneath could not be worse. I am posting this because I assume this has happened to a lot of you.

Good results, but hard to come by. I'll post a pic later, but to summarize, it looks like a viable solution if done carefully. The molding (which is actually a strip) is glued in with a white, fluffy, caulking type stuff. The strip comes off easily, but the caulking does not. Though once removed (still trying to figure out the best way to do this), the empty channel underneath is square-shaped with soft curves, and is painted. The only detractors are a couple of 3/16" finished holes (not sure what they are used for). It actually doesn't look to bad. Just refrain from using any metal tools to remove it and it comes off fine. The channel can be washed and waxed and the casual observer wouldn't know the difference.

If anyone knows of a good way to remove that caulking-glue stuff, I'm going to go ahead and remove the silver moulding around the entire car, as it has all pretty much turned yellow.

RE: Pulled off the silver embedded molding from the door...

Try kerosene or vaseline as its a solvent or I use "Goo Be Gone" on melted tar that gets on rocker pannels from highway. Also a thin hard plastic like an old bank or credit card to keep picking at it as you apply more solvent to soften it up, and it won't scratch the paint.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Try kerosene or vaseline as its a solvent or I use "Goo Be Gone" on melted tar that gets on rocker pannels from highway. Also a thin hard plastic like an old bank or credit card to keep picking at it as you apply more solvent to soften it up, and it won't scratch the paint.1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
[/div]

Cool, I'll try some of that.

Just dont let the kerosene or vasilene stay on or drip down your rocker panel and stay on there. Wash it off when youre done. Vasilene has kerosene in it along with WD-40 also could work on bugs for the front too. Just make sure to clean with soap afterwards.
I also use pledge on rear 1/4 panels and nose of car for long road trips. When you get to your destination, all the bugs spray right off easy, no sticky blood and enzymes to smear.
Love bugs are terrible here in the south. Your front end gets covered in them at night and they get all stuck in the radiator and have to be sprayed off. Im convinced those are the worst combatants to paint. The blood or guts etch into the surface. My truck has pitted etch marks in the leading edge of the plastic black mirrors from not taking them off. A good coat of wax is a good defense against them till you wash the car.

Keep a good non-ammonia window cleaner in the car, when you get to your destination simply spray the bug splatter and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Wipe gently with a soft cotton towel and that should be all you need.
[/div]

Like a non amonia glass plus? I'll give that a try on the nose for the bugs. But i mainly use a spray pressure drive in washer by hand after long trips. The pledge really works for not letting melted rubber and grime stick to rear 1/4 panels of the car. Comes right off with spray wand wash easy. Is there something in the chemical makeup of the pledge thats bad for paint?

Sorry, I don't know an easy way to remove the adhesive. I tried everything. I eventually used a dull screwdriver to slowly pry the adhesive off. I can tell you this though, the bumper strips come off easier.That's the hard part. The easy part is putting the new strips back on. They just stick on..:)http://www.mark8.org/users/billcu/strip.jpghttp://www.mark8.org/users/billcu/strip2.jpg
[/div]

Where did you get those strips again?

Hi... can you tell me where you purchased your new chrome door trim? I need to find some for my 1995.
Thanks much...
CAD

Welcome!Just click on the link in my post above. They are located in Mt. Clemens Michigan.
[/div]

I did eventually purchase some trim from those folks...I was not satisfied with the empty channel.

Measure your old molding very carefully as they have an assortment of different sizes. They have a more limited selection of black molding, which is what I purchased, having a black car. Application was a snap, and the end result was nice.

I can post pics if anyone asks.

I'd like to see the pics please..:)
[/div]

Will take photos today! :)

Pics as promised.

As can be seen, the black molding is a bit small, but it was the closest size they had. They have triple the size selection for the chrome color, so a better fitting strip can be had should you go this route.

Back