need some serious tech advice. (93 cougar)

maxmk8

Registered
Hey everyone!
I hope someone can help me out with this one. I recently changed the head gasket on a 93 Mercury Cougar with the 3.8 liter V6. The car was overheating due to a broken head gasket. But it was also dying at low rpms. Now i changed the left side head gasket the right side head gasket was changed about a year ago and according to the spark plugs its still good.
Now after I’ve put the car back together it started up just fine with no check engine light or rough idling whatsoever. Car runs the best it ever did. But the temperature is fluctuating from low normal (N) to between R and M while driving. Now this was a problem before. But the car is not overheating or running rough like it did before when the gasket was shot. I'm wondering if there is just a little air in the cooling system that is causing this or could the thermostat be causing this problem? Maybe i messed up on the gasket install??
(btw the head was reworked to meet manufacturers specs so its not warped)
Thanks for the tips.

RE: need some serious tech advice. (93 cougar)

Max, not being familar with the 3.8 V6, all I can say is the last engine I had a head gasket replaced on showed signs you describe - basically a fluctuating temp gauge. I took it back to the same shop and they replaced the pressure cap - still no difference. This time I demanded they test drive the car afterwards and highly suggested a look at replacing the thermostat. This time they replaced the thermostat, it was solved. I hope that's it for you too.

RE: need some serious tech advice. (93 cougar)

Thanks hmm i'll put that on a list of things to replace.
I think i might do the fuel filter. The T stat maybe something else i dunno about. But thanks for the tips.

Back