Chevrolet looks to boost sales with 10 new or redesigne

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/031218/na_fin_com_us_chevrolet_new_vehicles_4.html

Associated Press
Chevrolet looks to boost sales with 10 new or redesigned vehicles
Thursday December 18, 6:43 pm ET
By John Porretto, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet brand is preparing to introduce 10 all-new or revamped vehicles over the next 20 months, which the automaker hopes will increase the sales to 3 million a year.

Chevrolet, which accounts for more than 50 percent of GM's annual volume, sold 2.6 million vehicles last year, down from 2.7 million in 2001. Its U.S. market share through November was 15.7 percent, up from 15.4 percent for the same period a year ago.

At a briefing Thursday, Chevrolet announced a new advertising campaign dubbed "An American Revolution" to support the launches. The campaign, which debuts Friday, includes television, print and outdoor advertising.

"All of these vehicles provide game-changing design, innovative features and tremendous commitment to quality and technology," said Chevrolet general manager Brent Dewar. "'An American Revolution' is about our confidence to produce imaginative, dependable products and compete with the best in the world."

The first of the new products is the all-new Malibu Maxx, which began production in December. That will be followed early next year by the Colorado pickup, Aveo entry-level car and SSR roadster. Later in the year Chevy will launch the Equinox compact sport utility vehicle, Uplander crossover sport van and sixth-generation Corvette.

A new premium small car, the Cobalt, will debut in the fourth quarter of 2004, followed in 2005 by a new Impala and the HHR, a blend of the SSR roadster and the 1949 Suburban.

The product offensive at Chevrolet is not unlike GM's aggressive retooling of its luxury Cadillac brand in the past couple of years, an estimated $4 billion endeavor for the world's largest automaker. Through November, Cadillac's sales were up 8.3 percent from the same period a year ago.

In Thursday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, GM shares rose 53 cents to $50.39, near the 52-week high of $50.63.

RE: Chevrolet looks to boost sales with 10 new or redes

GO CHEVY !!

Everytime a Chevrolet sells, it's one less Toyota/Kia/Hyundai/Nissan/Honda or some other product of a foreign corportaion. I wish them 100% success! Keep GM strong, keep the money at home. Keep Americans employed. Keep America the greatest manufacturing giant in the universe! Go Chevy, Go! I'd love the new 'Vette, but alas, I am too old, now and I no longer bend on the perforations :) and getting in & out is painfull! I can see the aftermarket taking the forthcoming Cadillac CTS-V way past the performance of the C6. I read that outta the box the CTS "V" will take a stock 'Vette. The ZO6 not included in that.

Chevy still blows. They spend 700+ MILLION on their new Malibu platform, and it STILL has a pushrod engine. The SSR is a dog. The new Colorado trucks, don't look half bad. Oh...and here's one for Sandy....they have a new mini-ute coming out powered by a Chinese-made engine. I mean, hate Japanese if you must, but they invest TRILLIONS into the US economy. And the Chinese? ALOT less....GM is not only sleeping with the "enemy", they are porking them all nite long...(opening of a couple new plants slated for China). So do you still say GO CHEVY, Sandy????

Yes, I do not agree with ALOT, a HECK OF ALOT that Chevy is doing, like engines made in China, etc, etc. But I still support Chevy as an arm of GM. I still support Oldsmonile, as well. Olds was run into the ground by GMs hiring people from Haartz Mountain Dog Food & Proctor/Gamble to run a car business. People ran Olds into the ground. Poor advertising sealed the fate.
The Japanese have better designers, and much better advertising and slightly better manufacturing and better design of product (as you can attest to. But, yes, I still support our corporations.
Like said many times....
IF I ever left GM or Ford it would be to go to Chrysler, Volvo or Saab.

I've heard about a blown 427 small block engine to be an option on the next Corvette. It will be a package with light weight body and big brakes, etc. Reported to have 625 hp. It's supposed to be their answer to the Ford GT and Viper.

since when is a 427 considered a small block?

Jayello,

Let me clue you in on this dark science. LOL :) The 5.7L (350) engine is considered a small block (although GM did make a 350 that was considered a Big Block if I remember correctly). When you stroke it and bore it, you get 427 (approx. 7 liters) while still maintaining the STOCK block (save for the bigger bore). A BIG or small block has NOTHING to do with displacement....a Chevy 400 is a small block, while a 396 and 366 is a Big Block. Has to do with the difference in characteristics of the block..bigger block, journal sizes, head sizes, intake, etc....just BIGGER.. So remember....it has NOTHING to do with displacement, so he is correct in saying it will be a 427 small block.

I'm Lost :(

Sandy:
Just a question, not an argument.
How many designers of Japanese cars are American, not Japanese?
I would be willing to bet that, since many Japanese cars are designed to be sold primarily in the USA, that they are designed by people, either American or trained in the American school of design.
Hope this doesn't start a war.
Bob

There are quite a few Mechanical Engineering Graduates from my school (friends of mine) that went to work for Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Denso, and many others

Probably at least one-half of the total.
{Why would/should/could this question start a "war"?}

There are quite a few Mechanical Engineering Graduates from my school (friends of mine) that went to work for Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Denso, and many others

Unbelievably, a Japanese designed many Ferrari’s, including the F60, and Ferrari’s new model coming out soon. Nothing wrong with American designers, the problem lies within the way Chevy and Ford decide how to design their UGLY looking cars (I’m talking about that avalanche, Aztec, and the rest of Chevy's platform with the exception of the Vette, GTO.

You think the GTO is not UGLY? Ok..maybe not ugly, but certainly re-hashed, and quite BORING. Looks like a Cavalier/Grand Prix mating gone bad. And dammit...you can't even get a SUNROOF to enjoy the air whilst driving!!! AHHHHHhhh!!!!!!!

If anyone has seen the concept next generation GTO in this month's road and track, you will be nothing but inpressed. Vertical headlamps, bow-tie grill and more power.

Can you get a sunroof in the new one?? LOL

Back