2004 SVT Focus next modification?

Bill Eynon III

Registered
What do you think my next modification should be? I already have a Steeda Short Ram Air Intake. I am torn between a cat back exhaust system or an ignition upgrade and 24 lb injectors. Cost is about the same for each. The Hp would be expected to be about 10 hp for the exhaust and about 8 for the ignition and injectors. I already am pulling 154 hp at the wheels. According to Steeda any focus pulling 160 plus at the wheels needs the 24lb injectors. The exhaust I am looking at is listed here: http://www.ford-focus.mbrp.com/ I just need some opinions. I will probably endup with all these by next Carlisle, but I can't decide where to start.

RE: 2004 SVT Focus next modification?

Bill, someone has to show me how ignition upgrades on a stock motor yields HP. If your OEM ignition is old and failing , I believe you can re-gain lost HP, but not necessarily make HP. The same holds true for the injectors unless they are already operating at 85% duty-cycle or more now.

My money would be on the cat-back exhaust. ;)

In the latest Focus Fanatics magazine they upgraded the ignition coil pack and wires on a near stock 03 svt and it gained 3hp at the wheels. As for the injectors, I am going by what Steeda claims. I am prone to trust Steeda since they said that my ram air intake would gain 9 hp at the wheels and I actually gained 10hp according to my dyno test. I am leaning towards exhaust 1st since I seem to like the slightly louder sound that reminds me of a WRC Focus.

Turbo that little sucker ... But go with a small, quick spooling compressor !!!

I am planning a turbo in 2-3 years. The cost is quite expensive right know as a whole, but if I look at the hp/$ ratio it is pretty good. But it will be at least 2 years till I go unnaturally aspirated.

Those are really neat cars. One of the local guys moded his including a turbo. It produced 250 RWHP on the dyno but blew at the track. I haven't talked to him recently so I don't know what he's done with it lately.

LOL just for fun I was comparing flywheel hp to weight ratio on the SVT Focus and the Mark VIII and they are very similar. Anyway thanks for the replies. I think the mods that I am going to do are in this order.
Cat back exhaust system
24 lb injectors
and finally screamin demon coilpack and wires

This should all be good for some hp and put me at about 165 to 170 at the wheels. I hope. THen I really need to start thinking about an LSD for this gocart.

Back