Changing wires

Brad

Registered
Anything I should know before tackle this job. Any thing or just replace one by one. thank you

RE: Changing wires

Nope, just replace them one by one and you can't go wrong. You may want to use a little electrical grease to make the job of changing plugs easier in the future. :)

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...If you can read this, thank a teacher...If it's in English, thank a veteran....

theres small amout of oil in the passanger side hole. what should i do and whats the problem

theres small amout of oil in the passanger side hole. what should i
do and whats the problem

Either ignore it or swab it out clean. The gasket(s) around the spark
plug holes sometimes develop a minor leak allowing motor oil to seep
out. Unless it fouls the plug or leaks excessively, IMHO it is
harmless.

Do use dielectric grease on the wire boots, both at the plugs and the
coil. Double check the retainer clips at the coil to be certain they
are latched securely.

If you get lost...

http://mark8.org/users/driller/pics/plugwires.jpg

you're my hero

Yeap, JP always comes up with the best references :)

** Bill **
1995 LSC-R'ed w/Recaro's and Cobra R's
Veteran of Carlisle 2000/01/02/03
[a href=//cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=258112]For Pic's and Mods click here[/a]

...If you can read this, thank a teacher...If it's in English, thank a veteran....
:)

First a question from a computer illiterate. Why was JP's excellent post the only one in the thread without "printer friendly page" option? I had to copy the whole thread, 6 pages, to get that diagram on paper!

All I can add is that if you have access to shop air, when you have pulled plug boot and are ready to unscrew old plug, first just break loose about 1/2 turn, take a long air nozzle and blow out hole thoroughly so as to be sure nothing is there to fall in [plug hole when you pull out plug.

I have the "printer friendly page" option on each post.

Good reminder on blowing out spark plug well after loosening the spark plug. I doubt many of us do. I do it on equipment at work. But with the plug wire design capping the spark plug well on the Gen1 4.6 DOHC and then the spark plug wire cover on top, I don't see much chance for foriegn object intrusion.

Since I assume you will be changing plugs at the same time, don't forget the Geno trick:

Secure the spark plug socket to your ratchet extension(s) with electrical tape!

This will save you much self-kicking, cursing, and gnashing of teeth since the socket won't get stuck on the plug WAY down in the hole - without any easy means to get it out.

Good luck!

Since I assume you will be changing plugs at the same time, don't forget the Geno trick:

This will save you much self-kicking, cursing, and gnashing of teeth since the socket won't get stuck on the plug WAY down in the hole - without any easy means to get it out.

Good luck!

Yup, i figured that one out the hard way.

Good luck!

Very True Scott. Use a long extension, electrical tape the socket to the extension and wipe a little WD-40 on the shaft of the socket. Works every time.

"The real challenge is the plumbing. I am a Master Plumber after well over 200 installs."

This is true,
The wires are neater on my car then the picture in the diagram !!
There is no way I could have done it like that.

Back