2007 MKX TSB's and other issues...

Trunk Monkey

Registered
Hi guys (and gals),

Noobie to the Lincoln community here. :imnew:

I recently purchased an '07 MKX and am attempting to familiarize myself with all of its quirks. I'm also the owner of a 1995 Ford Thunderbird and I'm a regular over at tccoa.com

I was wondering if there were any service techs or other people in the know here who could tell me about the transmission roll back issue; where the vehicle won't hold position on an incline or when put into park.

It seems that people have had issues with it rolling back on an incline (which I haven't noticed - yet). What I have noticed is that it will roll about 2' when I take my foot off of the brake after placing it in park. To me this is an unacceptable amount of play in the transmission.

I took the vehicle to the dealership today and they said there was a TSB on this issue and that they re-flashed the PCM to correct or alleviate this issue. I was wondering if any one else here has any knowledge of - or experience with this issue and could offer any insight into it.

Thanks.

Well, sorry I can't help with info on your issue, there's not a lot of late model users here. Perhaps someone will chime in with some knowledge og the problem. I can't imagine reflashing the PCM having an impact on the park position of the transmission.

Anyways, welcome to the site! :)

Thanks Driller.

Yea, I didn't think much of the "we re-flashed the PCM" cure that I was told they did. I just drove it home this afternoon, I'll see how it behaves in the next week or so.

WELCOME but in the meantime... and always... use the parking brake when you put the tranny in Park.

Most people up north (snow belt) will NOT use the emergency brake in the winter as it has a tendency to freeze if slush/snow/water gets in there and the temp drops overnight. Lots get away with it, but once it happens to you, you prob will not be doing it again.

Most people up north (snow belt) will NOT use the emergency brake in the winter as it has a tendency to freeze if slush/snow/water gets in there and the temp drops overnight. Lots get away with it, but once it happens to you, you prob will not be doing it again.

I have been driving for over 24 years and i can say i never had that happen or know someone it happened too. Maybe it was more common on drum brakes?

You are probably right about the disc brakes.....but I've been driving for 53 years and I've had it happen to me (a LONG time ago) and have seen it happen to many others, so I've been conditioned not to use it in winter.

In all the years I've been driven, in all the cars I've owned, all the cars I've driven, in all the places I've lived from the mountains of NH to the deserts of North Africa NEVER have I had the parking brake seize EXCEPT once when I pulled it too hard and jammed it on my old Fiat.

Most people don't realize that the parking gear in most transmissions is pretty small, it's meant to "park" the transmission, not "park" the car. Put a car in park without the brake and give it a push with another car, it'll move a lot easier than you imagine.

In all the years I've been driven, in all the cars I've owned, all the cars I've driven, in all the places I've lived from the mountains of NH to the deserts of North Africa NEVER have I had the parking brake seize EXCEPT once when I pulled it too hard and jammed it on my old Fiat.

Most people don't realize that the parking gear in most transmissions is pretty small, it's meant to "park" the transmission, not "park" the car. Put a car in park without the brake and give it a push with another car, it'll move a lot easier than you imagine.

Don't do it tho....the "PARK PAWL" is nothing than a little piece of steel that sticks into a tooth on the flywheel. If you do as Leo says above, you'll never have a "PARK" position again!

I got Joe's (badsax) stuck driving back from KY. But his was broke to start with and it was summer. :D

Don't do it tho....the "PARK PAWL" is nothing than a little piece of steel that sticks into a tooth on the flywheel.

Not exactly. The park pawl on the 4R70W is at the rear of the transmission and I believe engages against the ring gear on the outboard side of the direct drum.

....I stand corrected....showing my age again.....they USED to.....as I said.

JP, will it do the same thing as the old way if thrown into PARK while moving? Will it break the pawl?

I have been driving for over 24 years and i can say i never had that happen or know someone it happened too. Maybe it was more common on drum brakes?

wait wait wait...

someone ask Steve about the time he used the parking brake in my MK8... :D

That was a fun night... :D :p :D

:D -J

Back